ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best recommended weatherproof wall speakers for poolside background music?  (Read 14284 times)

Mitch Philips

You're replacing 58 speakers and the budget for the entire job is $1500? Something doesn't add up here.

The original call was to replace some wiring and only a few speakers for $1500. After I did some inspecting of the equipment and the area, they said to just replace all of them and the wiring. They did NOT mention any change to the budget, but I would imagine they are flexible price wise. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:50:47 PM by Mitch Philips »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

So multiply "wiring and a few" by the appropriate number x $2,000 and give them the figures...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jason Lavoie

Hello! I was recently "tricked" into redoing a large pool complex PA system for a friend's company (they said they wanted me to fix ONE non working speaker). Anyhow, I've had experience installing wall speakers for indoor use. I am not really the best person to ask for weatherproof speakers. The company, a hotel, says they want to keep the current infrastructure, ie don't damage the walls. Their current system consists of 58 Atlas D161-8 speakers built into various walls and pillars. The only problem is, whoever installed them did not use any sort of weather protection on the drivers and they are roached, I would say between 85-97% of the drivers don't work, sound very poor, or are torn.

The pool complex is located in a desert in California where the temperature often reaches 100+. The speakers are directly exposed to sunlight and rain water with no overhang of any kind.

My question is, are there any 8" very weatherproof speaker drivers that you would recommend for this application?

Any help would be appreciated! I would be willing to supply pictures of the location if wanted.
Thanks!
-Mitch

In my experience weatherproof and flush-mount doesn't really exist unless you make a custom setup with a weatherproof speaker behind a grille.

How long did the old ones last? maybe for their budget you're best off replacing same with same if they are ok with having to replace them regularly.

Jason

Mitch Philips

How long did the old ones last? maybe for their budget you're best off replacing same with same if they are ok with having to replace them regularly.

The old speakers were installed in the early 2000s and were plagued with issues ever since then (so I've been told). Worse comes to worst, I'll just replace the drivers with the same model.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

The old speakers were installed in the early 2000s and were plagued with issues ever since then (so I've been told). Worse comes to worst, I'll just replace the drivers with the same model.
Out of curiosity-what IS the current model #?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mitch Philips

Out of curiosity-what IS the current model #?

The current model number is D161-8 by Atlas

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

In my experience weatherproof and flush-mount doesn't really exist unless you make a custom setup with a weatherproof speaker behind a grille.

Jason

My EV cabinets with the "outdoor" full grill have a sonically transparent, nylon-like insert behind the grill which catches and diverts rain water/spray from contacting the speaker cones.  Some similar approach might help.  That and periodic silicone spray...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954

Whomever did the original installation should be shot.  The original driver was/is a "treated paper" cone material.  DO NOT replace these with the same driver, or you'll be on the hook for another round of failures. 

If it's a cost driven issue, I would find an inexpensive coaxial speaker with a polypropylene cone and a butyl surround that has a 70V transformer that will tap low enough to work the amplification you have or you're going to get.  I've installed many speakers of this type that are still working today in climates ranging from -10 to +110F.  The reason they still work is because they were placed in soffits and other areas the protect them from direct exposure to the elements.  In this installation these will last considerably longer than the original speakers, but are eventually destined to fail as well.  I think you have two options; redesign the system, relocating the speakers to better locations using better equipment and appropriately sized amp(s) and having them patch the old speakers, or replace the existing drivers in the existing location using a better speakers (and amps) and let them know that these will not last and should be considered expendable, will need to be replaced and should be budgeted for.
This space for rent

Mitch Philips

Whomever did the original installation should be shot.  The original driver was/is a "treated paper" cone material.  DO NOT replace these with the same driver, or you'll be on the hook for another round of failures. 

If it's a cost driven issue, I would find an inexpensive coaxial speaker with a polypropylene cone and a butyl surround that has a 70V transformer that will tap low enough to work the amplification you have or you're going to get.  I've installed many speakers of this type that are still working today in climates ranging from -10 to +110F.  The reason they still work is because they were placed in soffits and other areas the protect them from direct exposure to the elements.  In this installation these will last considerably longer than the original speakers, but are eventually destined to fail as well.  I think you have two options; redesign the system, relocating the speakers to better locations using better equipment and appropriately sized amp(s) and having them patch the old speakers, or replace the existing drivers in the existing location using a better speakers (and amps) and let them know that these will not last and should be considered expendable, will need to be replaced and should be budgeted for.

I was thinking that. There aren't very many paper products that can withstand the elements like that for that long. This leads to replacing the drivers with something more durable, just as you said. But, of course, they will eventually meet a fate similar to that of the paper drivers.

For a relatively low-maintenance non-recessed system, I was thinking something along the lines of the Community WET-Series, RCF P-Series, or JBL Control Series. All of these speaker lines are quite pricey even for their base model 8" speakers.

There would be quite a few advantages to having one of these three speaker lines, more output, less speakers needed, and less maintenance. Some of the cons of having one of these would of course be the cost. Each of the speakers I was thinking about ranges $700-$950 each. Another con would not be enough areas to mount the speakers. A large sum of the current speakers are recessed in a cinder block wall which is about 6 feet tall.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

I am sure your customer knows 58 costs more than a couple? I assume it is a full service Marriott, JW or Renaissance property?  In my experience they don't cut corners.  12 to 15k is the number and you need a larger amp.  I would reuse the amp and break it up into zones.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.