ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling my SRX system - for real this time…..  (Read 49156 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Selling my SRX system - for real this time…..
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 10:12:28 PM »

835's to shoot the depth, front fills to cover the hole in front of the stage.  Mixes will differ according to the amount of amp spill from the stage into front center, likely needing primarily vocals and any less amplified stuff.

Trying to cover the whole area outdoors with  90 degree speakers might seem like it would work, but once you get out a ways a good bit of the sound energy is going to be wasted to the sides, the main field will be somewhat "diluted" and the center will suffer more combing.

This is where the paper cutouts can come in handy in visualizing your coverage and deployment.

Edit:

Another consideration is the LF extension of the 835's...which might allow you to set your crossover lower and use the energy of the 718's focused a little lower.  But that's likely academic for rock 'n pop.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:28:15 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 10:19:36 PM »

So you think for my purposes, investing in the new SRX835 s would be a lateral move give or take?...

I'd just like to have something for the rare bigger shows we do..... I never got to try the dual PA with the SRX and DSR but as I already own the DXR115s which are really nice too, I'm considering trying the dual PA using the DSR12s for vocal only and the 15s for instruments.
I'm getting either 1 or 2 more PRX subs for shows that need more oomph - I always did very well with the SRX subs and the PRX together. I'm thinking that maybe only one more coupled to another one before I spring for the fourth.
I've got my usual parking lot outdoor show coming up next month but without the SRX system this time and I need to make sure I have enough rig..it's never very loud because the pub is in a built up area and the homes across the street complain if I push it too much so I think I should be fine with at least one more PRX sub. That might be a good time to try the dual PA . I only do shows this size a few times a year so I don't want to invest a lot if the benefit is marginal....

Question for you Dick.... If I set up the dual PA at home in the drive and run a live recording I have on my hard drive through the mixer to get a real life sound, would I get a good idea of any phasing issues that may occur between the 2 different Yamaha cabs at shows or is it very dependent on the acoustics per show.???
Hey Debbie,

I have a neighbor with a KW153 over KW181 setup that I have A/B'd my DSR over PRX system with (and did some mixing and matching as well).  I found that the KW153 had more gas with low end material like punchy bass hits, while the horn(s) didn't really have more gas so to speak, but did provide more clarity (yea, even more than the DSRs).  I would say that you could cover marginally more room with those 3 way tops instead of the 2 way DSR112's, but not alot more..... this is assuming that the SRX835p is similar in output to the KW153.

I came away from the shoot-out thinking that my back was easily the winner carrying the DSR112's instead of the KW153's ;)

For an outdoor gig, I think that one DSR112 will carry itself nicely over a pair of XLF's.  I did a lake party last year with that setup and had pretty good sound 200 ft from the speakers out on the end of the dock which was down hill from the band.  It wasn't dance club loud (not even close), but it was still reasonably loud.

It is my thought that to step up from your current rig, you would have to go to something like an SM80 over a TH118 per side with amps and processing.  That would surely cover more.

Another pair of XLF's would be where I would go.  That would let you use the DSR tops to their full potential IMO.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 10:28:25 PM »

835's to shoot the depth, front fills to cover the hole in front of the stage.  Mixes will differ according to the amount of amp spill from the stage into front center, likely needing primarily vocals and any less amplified stuff.

Trying to cover the whole area outdoors with  90 degree speakers might seem like it would work, but once you get out a ways a good bit of the sound energy is going to be wasted to the sides, the main field will be somewhat "diluted" and the center will suffer more combing.

This is where the paper cutouts can come in handy in visualizing your coverage and deployment.

You are such a fart young smella aren't you?? Oh to spend a day in your  head …..

The band doesn't use back line and I have often wondered if that makes much of a difference in that area at the front where folks dance.
Vocals are always shot to the sides anyway from that vantage point but usually back line amps can be heard nice and loud there - till you have no back line!!.
If I do as you suggest, I will be filling that space with a blend of everything .
Does it make sense to consider placing the 835's directly on the subs and out - if high enough and have the DSR's on tilters facing inward slightly and down?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 10:41:44 PM »

Stack height is always the problem.  Outdoors you'll want as much height as you can safely and easily get.  I use something like these, just a tad deeper and with screw-jack leveling feet:

http://t.homedepot.com/p/PRO-SERIES-6-ft-x-6-ft-x-29-in-Multi-Use-Drywall-Baker-Scaffolding-with-1000-lb-Load-Capacity-GSSI/100645165

Mine cost about twice as much but included the leveling feet.  I did have to make my own decks...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 02:27:12 AM »

Here are a couple of ways to get your heavy speakers up in the air.

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 06:58:04 AM »

Here are a couple of ways to get your heavy speakers up in the air.

Do you really think the gaff tape can hold all that weight?  :)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »

Gaff tape will never hold up. Also, the cabinets must be very heavy if he needed a helicopter to lift them up to the top of the truss.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Cook

• Iowa City, IA
    • Steve Cook Sound
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »

I feel like a copy cat because I'm moving away from my Srx boxes as well.  I'll be a little sad to see them go, but I'm going in a direction with a different company. 

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »

Does it make sense to consider placing the 835's directly on the subs and out - if high enough and have the DSR's on tilters facing inward slightly and down?
There are many ways to deploy front fills. Infill, like you suggest, is a good choice (usually). Lip fill is another common deployment.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »

Edit:

Another consideration is the LF extension of the 835's...which might allow you to set your crossover lower and use the energy of the 718's focused a little lower.  But that's likely academic for rock 'n pop.

+1

Here's what i discovered with my ETX35Ps which appear very similar to the 835s and are also 60 x 40.  I originally bought just two figuring I'd add two more down the road so I could splay them. They die very quickly off axis, almost like there is a line you  step over and the sound radically changes. On a wide stage they also leave quite a hole down front.

With 1 on each side facing straight ahead they gave me very coherent sound for quite a distance. Much further than I would have expected, however when I experimented with a single side with 2 boxes splayed, while it filled in the width I lost the depth I had with a single box facing front. 

My new strategy is to do what Dick says here, leave my ETXs pointing forward and use  front fills and side fills as needed to fill whatever holes I have. The mains should cover most of the audience unless it's really shallow and wide area.  Usually whatever audience is off to the sides doesn't go that far back anyway, so a full 3 way facing out is probably overkill anyway.

BTW, since EV doesn't want to make a decently power dual 18 sub that matches the 828s, I'm probably going to eventually move completey over to the powered SRX boxes myself as funds allow. Seems like the smartest move in the long run.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:50:45 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.