ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling my SRX system - for real this time…..  (Read 49151 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Selling my SRX system - for real this time…..
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »

The part that really sold me on the Yamahas was the HF pattern.  None of these so called 60 or 90 degree boxes really are.  Ivan could probably write a book on it.  But that is the nominal design beamwidth at some mid-high frequency.  Depending on the crossover point the LF pattern is much wider than spec'd until a point where it narrows (another issue with small diaphragm 15" two ways), then it goes to the nominal horn pattern and starts narrowing again as you go up.  The only point where you get 60 degrees is maybe at 3-5kHz.  You get combing below that and holes in the coverage above it.

What I love about the Yamahas is that the HF pattern is very consistent up to 10k or so, unlike the QSC horns.  If you did run multiples, you would know where the patterns intersect.  Less even speakers it's a crapshoot depending of frequency.

I need to find some time to listen to them, but I'm wary of the 835s since the mid and HF horns are two different expansion types.  The two CD horns on the KW153 should behave more consistently through transitions, and since that's supposed to be a nominally narrower pattern it seems to work decently the couple of times I've heard multiples.

kel mcguire

« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »

Interesting

The Yamahas are pretty tough to beat in the MI grade actives. I've not heard two DSR 12 or 15 side by side. I have not heard RCF HD32 or 4 series either. My HPR rig has done so well for me. I do keep a lookout for another set of HPR153. The KW and HPR won't mix, primarily because of the latency in the DSP vs analog processing...but I like the lower weight.

So, I'm not sure what to do for a scalable rig. Without discount, street price has yamaha DSR12 at $900, KW122 at $1100. Four cabs could be as much as $800 more for the QSC.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:09:54 PM by kel mcguire »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »

Kel,  from my experience with the DSRs and K10s I own and some 712s I've borrowed a few times, I've become a firm believer in 2" or larger HF drivers.  It would be interesting to compare single DSRs or SRX8xx to paired QSCs.  The 10 and 12" QSCs I've used (and I loved the K10s when I bought them) sound strained and pinched at anything above moderate volume.  Whereas the larger driver speakers just keep going.  I'm thinking they could easily make up 3dB or more on the smaller driver QSC or EV boxes.  Maybe even the whole 6dB from a pair.

I'm now in the process of replacing my monitors with homebuilts using B&C coaxes with 3" drivers.  Looking forward to the effortless levels I got from the 712s plus the coax pattern consistency.  Not sure what I'll do with the K10s after that.  Good coffee shop speakers through.

Sometimes people are describing voice coil diameter (3" for example) and sometimes the exit diameter (often 1.5" to 2").  They are not the same spec. I presume your 3" comment was voice coil but I would not want HF drivers with bigger than a 2" exit.

I have coax wedges I use for festivals mostly. They sound great, get loud but weigh 55lbs each. They have B&C drivers that contribute about 34lbs of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »

Yeah, I meant HF VC size.  The 712s also have a 3" VC driver which is pretty amazing for such a small box.

I'm using the 12FCX76 which lists at 22 lbs.  Magnet is ceramic but uses an integrated structure that results in a shallower overall depth.  Which will work with a micro wedge like high angle since I'm typically on small stages.  Planning on 1/2" marine mahogany which I've made tops from before and like the sound of.  Doesn't have that upper mid ring you get from 3/4 birch.

Kel, I've got a K&M dual speaker fork for this one bar where they only let you set up on one side and you have to point one at the dance floor and another down the length of the room.  I'll try this weekend to set the DSRs up flatter and see how they sound at various angles.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2015, 12:13:28 AM »

I do keep a lookout for another set of HPR153.

I mixed countless shows using a HPR153 / HPR181 system in a smallish venue that accommodates about 500 patrons.  The HPR series always impressed me, even after being pushed too much by another tech at a hip-hop event.  I was recently informed the pair of HPR153 were for sale and to name my price.  As much as I like them, they're not load friendly for my bar band gig.

Pat Talbot

« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »

Yes…… let me explain...The threads title was regarding me selling my SRX700 system for reasons I had given before a few times. Because it was passive and required me dragging around an amp rack and heavy python sized speakon cables, it was getting left at home more and more and I was choosing the smaller powered system instead. This worked great for the smaller venues and once I found the DSR's and fell in love with them- all was good regarding that system in those smaller places.
Also, when the SRX800 series was released, I figured it would be a good replacement for the 700 series and smaller footprint.
For the outside shows  and slightly larger venues, I needed to make sure I have enough SPL and couldn't be assured I'd get that from the PRX718/ DSR system so the new SRX800 series was a good move for me.

AND - this is too much fun! ……..GAS……….

EXACTLY what I am looking at doing right now...trying to decide on new active speakers to avoid amp racks and heavy speaker cables.  Probably going with SRX835Ps over SRX828SP's...one set per side.  Have also looked at the Presonus AI loudspeakers, and while they seem impressive, I'm thinking the JBLs will deliver more in an outdoor situation and give me all I need in a larger club.  I don't have anywhere to demo any of these rigs unfortunately and am going off of specs, YouTube product reviews, and forums.  Anyway, will be ordering in a little over a week, so I have to get my research completed and solidify my thinking and choices.  Going with the Presonus RM32AI and will be going with Behringer B112D monitors for foldback to save some cost...will cycle those out down the road, and will hopefully have a lot of people running ears anyway.  Debbie...you putting wheels on the SRX828SPs?  I'm looking at moving them around with a hand truck that converts to a 4-wheel cart.  Thanks for your posts...they've been helping fill in some blanks for me.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »

EXACTLY what I am looking at doing right now...trying to decide on new active speakers to avoid amp racks and heavy speaker cables.  Probably going with SRX835Ps over SRX828SP's...one set per side.  Have also looked at the Presonus AI loudspeakers, and while they seem impressive, I'm thinking the JBLs will deliver more in an outdoor situation and give me all I need in a larger club.  I don't have anywhere to demo any of these rigs unfortunately and am going off of specs, YouTube product reviews, and forums.  Anyway, will be ordering in a little over a week, so I have to get my research completed and solidify my thinking and choices.  Going with the Presonus RM32AI and will be going with Behringer B112D monitors for foldback to save some cost...will cycle those out down the road, and will hopefully have a lot of people running ears anyway.  Debbie...you putting wheels on the SRX828SPs?  I'm looking at moving them around with a hand truck that converts to a 4-wheel cart.  Thanks for your posts...they've been helping fill in some blanks for me.

Hi Pat and welcome to the forum.
In an earlier post in this thread Mike Santarelli suggested Penn Elcom W9000 series wheels which is what he uses and I took his advice.  They fit perfectly and they are very heavy duty. I am pleased I chose them over the  recommended JBL  wheel set. I got them from Mike Pyle who is another forum member and dealer for many brands. Many members including myself have purchased from him- he is very helpful, his prices are good and he gets stuff shipped quickly.
Regarding using the SRX835, check out the earlier posts regarding this - you mentioned only using one per side. This might not be the best solution for you. I went for the SRX815 because of the coverage pattern that will be most beneficial to me. YMMV.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Wrap it up
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »

Hi Pat and welcome to the forum.
In an earlier post in this thread Mike Santarelli suggested Penn Elcom W9000 series wheels which is what he uses and I took his advice.  They fit perfectly and they are very heavy duty. I am pleased I chose them over the  recommended JBL  wheel set. I got them from Mike Pyle who is another forum member and dealer for many brands. Many members including myself have purchased from him- he is very helpful, his prices are good and he gets stuff shipped quickly.
Regarding using the SRX835, check out the earlier posts regarding this - you mentioned only using one per side. This might not be the best solution for you. I went for the SRX815 because of the coverage pattern that will be most beneficial to me. YMMV.

When you get posts that have explain what the thread is about, it's been going too long. Wrap up your thoughts here, and think about what you want to put in a new thread. I'll be closing this one today.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

Wrap it up
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.