ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling my SRX system - for real this time…..  (Read 33251 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Selling my SRX system - for real this time…..
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 04:13:45 pm »

If you've got some tracks you can play back on the Qu, you could run vocals to the inside speakers and band to the outsides to see what gives.  Then switch inside/outside to see where you prefer things.

Maybe Bob will chime in.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 05:24:52 pm »

...how much more area would they cover compared to say the DSr112 or the SRX715 property powered?
Well, the SRX835p has a 60*x40* horn, so I'd say they'll cover LESS area than a 90* horn. Even if they end up covering more area, it would be a much narrower area. These would be a lot of help in long skinny rooms or for deploying two per side. It's a great tool, but no one tool fits all jobs.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 08:03:58 pm »

This reviewer gives his impression on the performance and coverage of the SRX835p: http://www.fohonline.com/current-issue/23-road-tests/13061-bl-professional-srx835p-speakers.html

As for the subs, did you consider the SRX828sp for the next step in your system upgrade?  All things considered it's not really that much more than a prx718 or QSC KW181, and a rather good deal next to the SRX818.  Perhaps transport and set up/tear down are deal breakers for you.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 08:51:57 pm »

This reviewer gives his impression on the performance and coverage of the SRX835p: http://www.fohonline.com/current-issue/23-road-tests/13061-bl-professional-srx835p-speakers.html

As for the subs, did you consider the SRX828sp for the next step in your system upgrade?  All things considered it's not really that much more than a prx718 or QSC KW181, and a rather good deal next to the SRX818.  Perhaps transport and set up/tear down are deal breakers for you.

Thanks Tom….
yes -I did consider going that route but as I already own 2 PRX's and in order to be scaleable, I would need to get a couple of those to have 4x 18". The size and weight of the 2x18 is definitely a draw back too.
If I could be assured that the SRX would play nicely with my 2 PRX's , I'd still consider it as we wouldn't be using it all the time….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 09:03:25 pm »

So unless I  am prepared to invest in 4 of these things, the dispersion angle is not going to be as workable as my 90 degree Yammies it looks like…and I'm not getting 4 so…….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 09:22:46 pm »

So unless I  am prepared to invest in 4 of these things, the dispersion angle is not going to be as workable as my 90 degree Yammies it looks like…and I'm not getting 4 so…….

Before making a decision based on spec sheets it might be wise to get a demo and carefully walk left to right through the coverage pattern to see what you think it is. Some speakers go away quickly when you walk out of the pattern, some do it more gently. I have no knowledge of or experience with these particular speakers, but I just auditioned a couple of different speakers that exhibit the different ways the pattern rolls off.

Mac

Robert Patch

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 09:30:12 pm »

Sold the subs and one of the amps…..so far…

I LOVE my PRX718xlf/Yamaha DSR112 set as I am sure you all know by now. So much so that my SRX system hardly ever sees the light of day. 
Holding on to it won't do me much good in the long run because as good as it is, as time goes by, newer and 'better' speakers are developed and mine will lose money but not make me any.

You did the right thing.  I just sold my SRX/STX system in favor of a FA22ac over ETX sub system.  I'm too cheap to buy the FA subs (and sub sound quality doesn't REALLY matter anyway, right?).  There was no question that the JBL system could deliver the goods.  My back just can't tote the note any longer.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 09:35:32 pm »

Pattern control:  at what frequency?

I agree with Mac.  Use your ears, walk the sound field.

Additionally, consider the possible deployment configurations...and the other cabinets you're going to keep.  Say you deploy a pair of the 60x40 boxes on either side of a 24-30 foot stage.  You've then got maybe 30-40 feet between stacks.  Facing forward and not splayed, the 60 degree patterns (at whatever frequency) will cross somewhere between 23 and 40 feet out, give or take. 

So why not use your DSR's or whatever for front fills to cover the gap?  For sure you're going to want more vocals in the mix that close to the sound of the amps coming off stage, so having the ability to trim that area differently than the main mix is probably a good thing.

You can always get out the protractor, paper, pen, ruler and scissors and play around visualizing the possibilities of various combinations of gear.

Fun.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:49:03 pm by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 09:48:40 pm »

The only way I'm going to be able to do that is to use the 30 day trial period through GC. First of all, my very favorable quote is through Sam Ash and secondly, they would have to order them in and at that point, I might not be able to use the 30 day. I always feel bad anyway using something and then returning it…I try not to do that.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 09:57:27 pm »

Pattern control:  at what frequency?

I agree with Mac.  Use your ears, walk the sound field.

Additionally, consider the possible deployment configurations...and the other cabinets you're going to keep.  Say you deploy a pair of the 60x40 boxes on either side of a 24-30 foot stage.  You've then got maybe 30-40 feet between stacks.  Facing forward and not splayed, the 60 degree patterns (at whatever frequency) will cross somewhere between 23 and 40 feet out, give or take. 

So why not use your DSR's or whatever for front fills to cover the gap?  For sure you're going to want more vocals in the mix that close to the sound of the amps coming off stage, so having the ability to trim that area differently than the main mix is probably a good thing.

You can always get out the protractor, paper, pen, ruler and scissors and play around visualizing the possibilities of various combinations of gear.

Fun.

OK..so this is getting interesting now. So do you mean dual with the 835's and the DSR's used in the manner you suggest or…... everything through both sets of speakers but aiming at different positions to avoid cancellation?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 09:57:27 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.