ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: single speaker vs two  (Read 5404 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: single speaker vs two
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »

Thanks for your input Stephen! In Argentine Tango, the best dancers actually dance at the outer edges, as everyone moves counter-clock wise, as we call it, la ronda. It is a sign of being able to navigate the floor and they are also better seen by everyone (it's all about ego right?). Beginners or dancers less able to navigate end up in the middle. But I digress.. :-)

If I get it correctly, you believe a single DSR112 is good for the job (at least to start off with) and I may just have to tame down a bit the 3-4k region? One of the aspects I'd really like to improve with a new speaker is an improvement in the vocals. I currently have on loan a couple of JBL 515XT that I don't really love, specifically, the voices don't come through as nice as I'd like. I know these songs very well and listen to them on other better setups so I know the quality is there. I'm hoping the DSR112 would be a step up, and I don't mind EQing a bit.

thanks
Thanks for the education on Tango.  I know waltz folks move around, hadn't realize that tango dancers moved continuously.  Back to watching Dancing with the Stars.  ;)

The 515 has a larger woofer and smaller HF driver than the DSR.  This means that the crossover point between the two has to be moved up where the smaller HF driver is safe.  Which leaves a hole where the 15" woofer doesn't work as well.  In particular it narrows in coverage significantly.  The DSR is much more even and will stay even at levels you probably would not use indoors.  The DSR won't have as dramatic of bass response.  The JBLs would be far better for modern music as long as you didn't try to get too loud.  I used to play with a singer who bought 3 for monitors where they worked well although a bit "chesty" or boomy if you let them.  But when we tried to use them for mains, we lost two HF drivers.
As I said, my personal experience with the DSRs is that they are very even.  And not at all forward like the ETX or the JBL's of days gone past (which I absolutely hate the sound of).  But there is a common internet thing suggesting that they are a bit bright or have slightly enhanced upper midrange.  You would have to judge for yourself.  Although dance halls with hard floors and walls (and often low ceilings for the dimensions of the room) can be harsh sounding.  Another reason why the clarity of one good speaker my be preferable to multiples of lesser sound quality.  If you get a 2nd, I would put it in the opposite corner rather than an adjacent corner still running in mono.  This will enable the dancers to hear more direct sound as they circulate.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »

I am a fan of the single main speaker.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 09:09:54 PM »

I suspect that we've grown accustomed to hearing artificial soundscapes and anticipate the distortions of comb filtering from multiple sources.  For those who are used to exclusively hearing acoustic performances, more than 1 speaker sounds artificial from the start...

If you want it to sound like the band, only louder and covering more evenly, use 1 speaker.  If you want it to sound 'like a show' then use 2.
I love the argument that people of present that says you need 2 speakers because you have 2 ears.

HOWEVER, the loudspeaker is the SOURCE-NOT the receptor!

When 2 people are talking to each other, the SOURCE is a SINGLE mouth-NOT 2 mouths.

The REASON we have 2 ears (and not one) is that each ear is slightly different, and our brains use this "different" information to determine which way sounds are coming from-or localization.

It does not matter what brand or model, ONE speaker is ALWAYS going to sound clearer than two.

Now if you are about the "envelopment" of sound, then aim the speakers into the corners and get the "901 effect".

But it WILL NOT be clearer, but "might" sound more pleasing-depending on what you are looking for.

Many people associate bad sound with what is "normal", because that is what they are used to hearing------------

They have never heard good sound.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:11 PM »

Hi,

I'm doing a bi-weekly event where a DJ plays 30s-50s Argentine tango music for dancers. This is very mellow music by today's EDM standards and the levels are not high as people talk while they sit, etc. I don't need to push a lot of air, it's more about the quality.

The room was roughly modeled and can be seen in the link below. It's a 30' x 60' room, where the DJ table is 8-10' away from wall, so, the room is more like 50' long in reality.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zkb19ok17xv2g3/AutoSave_Room%20model_1.jpg?dl=0

I need to get new speakers and was planning around some 12" and eventually one day a sub. This music doesn't have a lot of hi-fi to it and not a lot of bass. It was mostly recorded on shellac and earlier vinyl with almost no tapes left for new transfers.

Yesterday it occurred to me that maybe I could get away with a single speaker. This would allow me to get a single better speaker (DSR112 maybe) as opposed to two entry-level speakers from EV or Yamaha. My only issue is coverage.

Is this a good idea at all? DSR112 has 90o horizontal coverage which appears to me a bit narrow even if I put it close to the wall.

Any input appreciated,
thanks
I've provided rigs for events that (for all intents and purposes) can certainly be done with one speaker, however, there are many clients that "listen with their eyes" and will say that one speaker isn't enough when in fact, it is.                               
I've got one such gig coming up in a narrow room on the last weekend of this month.  I will set up a three-way system with one sub and mid/hi cab per side of the small stage and I'll only use one side (the other side is muted).  No one can tell that the other side is not being used.
Now, if I only brought one stack of speakers I am sure that the client would say something...
Mike M     

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »

The REASON we have 2 ears (and not one) is that each ear is slightly different, and our brains use this "different" information to determine which way sounds are coming from-or localization.

Silly me.  I thought it was for "headroom"...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lyle Williams

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:28:06 PM »

Definitely buy one good speaker like a DSR112 rather than two cheaper speakers that add up to the same price.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 10:35:16 PM »

Add in the fact that the dancers are moving and one speaker will sound more consistent.

The problem with that logic is music is directional. As they are dancing, their heads are moving and thus the sound will be dramatically different as they face different directions.

Having sound coming from 4 directions means that no matter which direction they face, they will be facing a speaker.  While movement through the room will result in different sounds, it may not be as dramatic as the change in sound by changing the position of your ears.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 10:35:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.