ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling my SRX system - for real this time…..  (Read 33219 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Selling my SRX system - for real this time…..
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:59:54 pm »

Sold the subs and one of the amps…..so far…

I LOVE my PRX718xlf/Yamaha DSR112 set as I am sure you all know by now. So much so that my SRX system hardly ever sees the light of day. 
Holding on to it won't do me much good in the long run because as good as it is, as time goes by, newer and 'better' speakers are developed and mine will lose money but not make me any. So……I have already sold the subs and one of the amps and hopefully the rest will go soon.

I intend to use the PRX/DSR set up for most indoor shows but I'd like to reinvest in 2 more PRX subs for scalability as I already own a couple and maybe a pair of the SRX powered tops. I enjoy the 12" over sub PA but as I already have that,  I'm thinking maybe I could go for the SRX835P. The reason being that for the larger shows - outdoor and such (nothing huge - just parking lots and patios) I get the impression that the 3 ways will cover a  larger area for me.

What do you guys think about using the PRX718xlfs with SRX835P's ???

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Selling my SRX system - for real this time…..
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »

If the boat floats sail it. You've broken my heart. First because you sold your SRX, and second because I didn't know you were selling them.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:31:47 pm »

If the boat floats sail it. You've broken my heart. First because you sold your SRX, and second because I didn't know you were selling them.

Oh no - sorry Bob…. last time (before I changed my mind) I let everyone here know I was selling everything, but nobody either wanted anything or wanted to pay what I was asking so I didn't mention it this time. You guys are all in the know and can get such good prices on stuff. I am not asking silly prices but I am trying to get close to the going rate….ebay sold items etc…
I have the SRX715s with covers still available and the XTI6002 amps if anyone is interested - all mint or near mint ……

Carrying around the amp rack just became a pain in the butt….. along with reeling up those huge and heavy speakon cables. Its no good owning such a nice  system but choosing to take the powered one because it makes life so much easier. And in the places we play, I couldn't get the SRX speakers pushed enough. I find they sound at their best when pushed …..

And yes - I may regret this……..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 01:28:11 am »

The days of an impressive looking stack are long gone for me.  With modern speakers that can run hard without strain you don't need as much stuff.  I'm not in the business of rearranging organs with sheer volume anyway.  Leave that to the kids.  Just saw some pics on FB of a band playing outdoors with big old horn cabinets from the '80s.  I can get better sound out of my DSRs over Cubos.  And if I break down and build a 2nd pair of subs to use the extra drivers in the garage, I can make more sound than most old school 50 cu' of boxes per side.

Now if I could stumble into some 712s for wedges at firesale prices that would be cool.  ;)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 02:26:45 pm »

I just sold the SRX715s... So now I'm sweating.........aaaaarrrrgghhhh....I really like the look of the SRX835p but won't get the chance to try them before I buy. I can get them at a good price though. Those of you here that already own them, how much more area would they cover compared to say the DSr112 or the SRX715 property powered?
No crazy levels needed - music is rock/pop and the largest area outside would be probably not much more than 250 ft by 200ft

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:32:00 pm »

The days of an impressive looking stack are long gone for me.  With modern speakers that can run hard without strain you don't need as much stuff.  I'm not in the business of rearranging organs with sheer volume anyway.  Leave that to the kids.  Just saw some pics on FB of a band playing outdoors with big old horn cabinets from the '80s.  I can get better sound out of my DSRs over Cubos.  And if I break down and build a 2nd pair of subs to use the extra drivers in the garage, I can make more sound than most old school 50 cu' of boxes per side.

Now if I could stumble into some 712s for wedges at firesale prices that would be cool.  ;)

I still see bands struggle with big old cabs from the 80s that from a distance look very impressive- till they start playing and I realize like you Stephen, they don't sound as good as the smaller lighter stuff available today. Now my SRX system was far superior to that stuff but eventually would go the way of the dodo I think. I get the impression that consumer stuff will all be powered one day.  My decision was based on the fact I can get close to the SRX system for my needs with the powered set up and the work is far less!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 02:46:23 pm »

I'd be interested in what the true pattern of the 835 is.  I don't see polar plots on the website.  And the pictures show an exponential midrange and CD HF horns.  Most of the buzz on there has been that you could put two of them on a side in larger outdoor events.  I'd be interested in what they actually sound like at the edges of their pattern before doing this.  Or using them in singles outdoors.  Louder indoor events where you're firing more directly at the audience ought to be less of an issue unless an event coordinator puts you on the long wall.
On of the deciding factors for me on the Yamahas is the evenness of the HF pattern.  The conical waveguide JBLs aren't bad in this respect.  Much better than the QSC Ks for example.  But the pics of this box look a bit old tech to me.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 03:13:00 pm »

I'd be interested in what the true pattern of the 835 is.  I don't see polar plots on the website.  And the pictures show an exponential midrange and CD HF horns.  Most of the buzz on there has been that you could put two of them on a side in larger outdoor events.  I'd be interested in what they actually sound like at the edges of their pattern before doing this.  Or using them in singles outdoors.  Louder indoor events where you're firing more directly at the audience ought to be less of an issue unless an event coordinator puts you on the long wall.
On of the deciding factors for me on the Yamahas is the evenness of the HF pattern.  The conical waveguide JBLs aren't bad in this respect.  Much better than the QSC Ks for example.  But the pics of this box look a bit old tech to me.

If there isn't going to be enough of an improvement over the DSRs to be worthwhile for me at these smaller events, I'll save my money- as you know I LOVE my DSRs and I get good levels with them wherever we play.

As a side note, on Sunday before I sold the SRX rig, I set up one SRX715 over one SRX718 one side and one DSR12  over a PRX718xlf on the other.  I used the DRPA  and XTI Amps to power the SRX side .
I ran different styles of music through them in mono panning back and forth between the two and I got a bit of a shock as to just how well the DSR side stood up to the SRX side. I pushed the levels quite high on both and I was able with subtle EQ to get both sides sounding very similar.
I have always felt that the PRX's give the SRX718's a good run for their money on sub duty anyway so I was really comparing the tops. I also prefer the sound of 12" drivers over subs. I wish JBL had brought out a new powered version of the old SRX 722.......

That was what caused me to make the final decision about selling the SRX system. If the difference had been greater- I may have kept both. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 03:15:06 pm »

Most moves within a certain budget range/speaker type will tend to be a bit sideways IMO.  You gain or lose a bit here and there with coverage, SPL, arrayability, power consumption, ease of handling/setup/deployment, but the real difference is going to be "presence" over a given area.

With what you have and what you've had you're looking at really good indoor presence.  Outdoors your "box" is likely to be limited to 100' x 100' for all practical purposes.  Beyond that I think you're looking at a $30K rig.

I looked long and hard at the Dynacord Cobra II when it came out and got to use it a half-dozen times.  15 minute setup with two people, ran on two 20 amp circuits and had superb "presence" over an area 150' wide by 150' deep...and a LOT of good sound out to 300'.

I just couldn't pull the trigger even for a demo rig @ $23K.  Broke my heart a bit.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 04:04:09 pm »

Most moves within a certain budget range/speaker type will tend to be a bit sideways IMO.  You gain or lose a bit here and there with coverage, SPL, arrayability, power consumption, ease of handling/setup/deployment, but the real difference is going to be "presence" over a given area.

With what you have and what you've had you're looking at really good indoor presence.  Outdoors your "box" is likely to be limited to 100' x 100' for all practical purposes.  Beyond that I think you're looking at a $30K rig.

I looked long and hard at the Dynacord Cobra II when it came out and got to use it a half-dozen times.  15 minute setup with two people, ran on two 20 amp circuits and had superb "presence" over an area 150' wide by 150' deep...and a LOT of good sound out to 300'.

I just couldn't pull the trigger even for a demo rig @ $23K.  Broke my heart a bit.

So you think for my purposes, investing in the new SRX835 s would be a lateral move give or take?...

I'd just like to have something for the rare bigger shows we do..... I never got to try the dual PA with the SRX and DSR but as I already own the DXR115s which are really nice too, I'm considering trying the dual PA using the DSR12s for vocal only and the 15s for instruments.
I'm getting either 1 or 2 more PRX subs for shows that need more oomph - I always did very well with the SRX subs and the PRX together. I'm thinking that maybe only one more coupled to another one before I spring for the fourth.
I've got my usual parking lot outdoor show coming up next month but without the SRX system this time and I need to make sure I have enough rig..it's never very loud because the pub is in a built up area and the homes across the street complain if I push it too much so I think I should be fine with at least one more PRX sub. That might be a good time to try the dual PA . I only do shows this size a few times a year so I don't want to invest a lot if the benefit is marginal....

Question for you Dick.... If I set up the dual PA at home in the drive and run a live recording I have on my hard drive through the mixer to get a real life sound, would I get a good idea of any phasing issues that may occur between the 2 different Yamaha cabs at shows or is it very dependent on the acoustics per show.???

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 04:04:09 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.