ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone have an Event form/questionaire they would share?  (Read 2502 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Anyone have an Event form/questionaire they would share?
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »

I've been asked to build an Event Form for the Church. It will be a simple questionaire for non production types to gather info about their event's sound needs.

I wonder if anyone here has something like this I could look at? I'm sure there will be things I can't think of right off the bat. Plus wording this for non-industry people is a challenge. There's a ton of things I take for granted that they won't know to tell me.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Cailen Waddell

Re: Anyone have an Event form/questionaire they would share?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »

We have lots of forms.  I'll try to pull some up and upload...  BUT no form replaces a face to face meeting with the client and saying describe your event.   We meet twice. Once at the time of booking and once 4 to 6 weeks out where details like schedule and staffing are finalized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:00:14 PM »

...Plus wording this for non-industry people is a challenge. There's a ton of things I take for granted that they won't know to tell me.

While I do system design for our campus rather than produce events, my standard request at the first meeting is for the client to simply send me a narrative description of what they plan to do in the space.

I've learned the hard way that if you ask "do you want/need x-y-z?" , the answer is always yes if they haven't thought of, or don't understand what the equipment does or what the technical component is meant to accomplish.

The narrative description gives a starting point and helps me understand what THEY wish to accomplish. Technical details can come later.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »

Forms are a good first step.  Most people have no frame of reference for planning a large event.  Their hands on experience usually tops out at childrens birthday parties.  Create a punch list of questions gets people thinking about the nuts and bolts in ways that they hadn't imagined until you're form pops up.  Things like what time does it start and end.  In my experience a great many people have a start time but not an end time.  They don't think in terms of hours of set up and take down time and the required blocking out of the facility space to accommodate that element.  Their understanding of technical production is something that approaches magic.  A questionnaire form is ideal for this sort of thing.  For years before computers were central to my operations I had a stack of blank client qualifier forms on my desk next to the phone and I didn't end the conversation until I had every line filled in.  Phone conversations are good, paper forms or on screen forms are where the conversations gel.

...  BUT no form replaces a face to face meeting with the client and saying describe your event...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »

It's hard enough to get bands (who should know this stuff, Oh! We have an acoustic guitar too, where do we plug it in?) to say what they want.

I would think something like a stage plot that asks to list all the people who will be doing something, where they will be standing and what they will be doing.  Maybe they draw a circle with a number and below list who that number is and what they do.  Somehow you have to get them to think in terms of their production and everyone that is involved in a performance.  Most folks will have done some sort of rehearsal and can visualize everyone standing on stage.  Along the lines of Glen's narrative of the performance.  That way you know that one person will be standing at a lectern playing tracks from their phone and showing slides on a projector, or 5 people will be strumming acoustic guitars with one keyboard and 7 singers.

Just asking them how many microphones they'll need and how many DI inputs they'll need will invariably end up leaving something out.

I remember an event where I had a list of everyone in the band but that day was told that some of their students would be doing a few songs opening up.  And no idea how many doing what until they wandered out of the crowd onto the stage looking for a place to plug in.  Initially it was that the students would play their instruments.  Okay, fine, everything is set up for that.  Only to have 4 or 5 additional kids come up with electric and acoustic guitars and expecting to sing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.