ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tonight's show - miniature scale  (Read 14473 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Tonight's show - miniature scale
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:40:13 PM »

Hubby's band is playing at a brand new bar this evening - it is the opening weekend and they have entertainment thurs, fri, sat and sun.
Chris dropped by last night to check it out because they had informed us that they provide in house PA………..
Yeah right……. so this is what he found….

The band set up in an area the size of my downstairs rest room. It was a 3 piece band and they were virtually standing on top of each other.

The 'in-house' PA is a small inadequate tannoy system which feeds the whole restaurant. No mixer, no monitors and you have to take a feed to the RCA inputs in the wall.
Well it was a disaster. The band plugged into the RCA inputs and nothing came through. The manager insisted on them not using their own PA so all they had was a JBL eon which they used as a monitor and the only sound the audience heard was  the reflection from it off the back wall.
The manager got upset with the band and kept attempting to turn the master levels up on their mixer. Of course, this made no difference and the band members got a little 'miffed' - as would I !!!

If this hadn't been a short notice gig and there had been more time, we would have cancelled there and then but we are obligated to play this evening - first time with the new agent and all.
Also, not allowed to take lights so dark stage……

I am SO not looking forward to this…...
So i messed around today and tried to get my alt out (mirror of L+R) to adapt to 2 rca cords that I have and the volume was unusable even at full output from the mixer and full gain at the powered speaker. I then switched to an aux out and HUGE difference. Lots of volume…….

I don't know much about 70v systems (if in fact this is what the bar has) but if I can get good gains from my aux out to the RCAs in the back of my speaker, will I be OK doing the same into their RCA panel at the venue??
I plan to use my 2 x DXR15's - (till someone tells me I can't use them - and I know I wont get away with a sub), and use aux out from the mixer adapted cords to RCA - into their panel.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Tonight's show - miniature scale
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »

Good call on taking the DXRs regardless. Unfortunately there are so many unknown variables of what is between those RCA inputs and the wall the house speaker system to truly know if you'll get anything usable out of it. Sounds like the owner isn't one to let people do any investigation of their own on the system either.

I was put in a similar situation when a new wedding venue opened in town. They were so proud of their "state of the art" ceiling speaker system, the wouldn't let any vendors bring in their own gear.

My first time working there was to provide audio for a wedding ceremony and again, the owner wouldn't let me bring in my usual speaker system and forced my to tie in. During the rehearsal it very quickly became clear this was not going to work--family members hanging around already commenting how they couldn't hear--coverage was poor and I couldn't get any gain out of the system. Anyhow, after going back and forth for a while with the venue owner, I explained that I was working for my client, the bride and groom, and it was my job to fulfill my contract with them, so I brought in my speakers, which I had waiting in the van because I had a feeling this might happen, and everything went swell.

Next time I worked that room, the "house speaker system only" rule was no longer in place.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »

Un-f***ing-plugged.

Sounds like a job for a strolling accordionist...

DR
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »

Un-f***ing-plugged.

DR

Sure does…
So when can you get here ?  ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »

Good call on taking the DXRs regardless. Unfortunately there are so many unknown variables of what is between those RCA inputs and the wall the house speaker system to truly know if you'll get anything usable out of it. Sounds like the owner isn't one to let people do any investigation of their own on the system either.

I was put in a similar situation when a new wedding venue opened in town. They were so proud of their "state of the art" ceiling speaker system, the wouldn't let any vendors bring in their own gear.

My first time working there was to provide audio for a wedding ceremony and again, the owner wouldn't let me bring in my usual speaker system and forced my to tie in. During the rehearsal it very quickly became clear this was not going to work--family members hanging around already commenting how they couldn't hear--coverage was poor and I couldn't get any gain out of the system. Anyhow, after going back and forth for a while with the venue owner, I explained that I was working for my client, the bride and groom, and it was my job to fulfill my contract with them, so I brought in my speakers, which I had waiting in the van because I had a feeling this might happen, and everything went swell.

Next time I worked that room, the "house speaker system only" rule was no longer in place.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Yeah I have a bad feeling - unless he lets us use those DXRs….

He just texted the agent with a link to a couple of cables asking if these will work?? Male - yes male xlr to RCA……… oh boy……..

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 03:57:36 PM »

Sure does…
So when can you get here ?  ;)

As soon as the check clears...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 04:02:31 PM »

As soon as the check clears...

I promise to make you my special shepherds pie with the best gravy known to man!!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 04:04:30 PM »

Un-f***ing-plugged.

DR

ROFL! 

Deb,
After last night's disaster, maybe the owner will have had a change of heart.  Here's hoping.  Come prepared.  Bring minimal lights, too.
By time Sunday finishes, I'm sure policies will be different.
frank

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »

If it's a 70V don't boost the low bass...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 04:08:45 PM »

ROFL! 

Deb,
After last night's disaster, maybe the owner will have had a change of heart.  Here's hoping.  Come prepared.  Bring minimal lights, too.
By time Sunday finishes, I'm sure policies will be different.
frank

Thanks Frank- the band last night threw up a tree of 4 LEDS and got asked to take them down after the first set…. I am taking 4 LEDS and putting them on the floor around the kit. If I get questioned, I'll swear blind they are only there for some light to read and be able to see the fretboards….

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 04:08:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.