ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tonight's show - miniature scale  (Read 14623 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Tonight's show - miniature scale
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »

Small Tannoy system as in a few stereo speakers scattered around the room?  Small PA speakers?  Ceiling speakers or little cubes?

RCA inputs should be consumer line level.  1V should drive them to whatever limits their home stereo or Radio Shack paging system can manage.

Is there any history of a band successfully using the "house PA"?

So given the -10 consumer inputs and a Qu-16 feeding them, the 2-track feed should be a match.  Might need a balun in addition, but I always use one anyhow (EbTech Hum Eliminator) when hooking my gear into anyone else's system.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 05:29:54 PM »

First gig was last night…..it is a franchise but I don't really want to mention what company. The GM called us personally today and said every bar in the franchise does things this way.  He was very anxious as tonight - like last night should be heaving. 90-120 minutes wait time and no room to breathe…..We were very professional and assured him we will do our best to work with him.

I would much rather use the alt outs to mirror LR - that way if I do need to supplement with my speakers, I'll be able to run both systems  from L and R faders. Problem was I just couldn't get any decent volume from the output when I tried it today. I got plenty from the mix out though. Does that sound right??

No, it doesn't.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »

I would seriously consider having the proprietor sign a waiver saying he's been informed of the possibility of damage to his system by using it for live music and absolving you of any responsibility whatsoever.

No way I'd hook into that.  Disaster waiting to happen.

Probably not going to happen Dick….. the agent will be there too and we want to impress her- first gig through her and hoping for many more !!!
She is completely on board with this and understands the problems inherent with the in house system. She was there last night and witnessed the sham that it was…….She is working with us and so far we have a good relationship with her. 
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »

No, it doesn't.

I wondered if the output levels were very different….thia concerns me….Everything is packed up now but can you think why I would have got such low levels  from alt out? I have never even used alt out and a quick check showed the setting at LR. When I tried both configurations, I used the same cables and played the same iPod
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 05:56:48 PM »

Debbie, can you run the test tone generator and measure the AC voltage at each of the outs at 0VU on the meters?  I don't know the Qu but there may be some pad in there for recording outs into mic inputs or something.  Even if your meter integrates differently, comparing to your main outs would give a clue as to what might be inserted.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »

I wondered if the output levels were very different….thia concerns me….Everything is packed up now but can you think why I would have got such low levels  from alt out? I have never even used alt out and a quick check showed the setting at LR. When I tried both configurations, I used the same cables and played the same iPod

The Alt Out jacks output level has a pot just below the 'phones pot.  Assign L+R as your feed and dial up the outfeed pot.  There's a "0" mark to indicate unity with the Mains fader, but you can dial it down as needed.

For this I'd seriously consider running a fairly stiff comp across the mains bus to avoid sending any surprises to the house.  I f they do this as a rule in their chain, I would suspect they may have something in line to safe the input level regardless of their use of  RCA's.

Good luck.  Don't choke on the staff.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 06:20:45 PM »

If she's running two ALT OUTs, is it possible that she's getting cancellation combining the two of them into a mono 70V system?
This space for rent

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 06:22:33 PM »

If she's running two ALT OUTs, is it possible that she's getting cancellation combining the two of them into a mono 70V system?

That's why I said to choose L+R as the feed instead of LR.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 06:42:52 PM »

Leaving now - thanks peeps…….will try alt out….you guys are the bestest ever ever ever!!!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »

So...

How'd it go?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.