ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers  (Read 5904 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: Powered Speakers
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 08:36:55 AM »

If you are clipping your amps, then you don't have enough rig for the gig.

But I tend to agree with Scott Wagner on reply #4
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:49:03 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »

Question:

I have (2) JBL PRX700 speakers. Should I run those at full volume?

I have JBL PRX 735s, 718XLFs, 710s, 712s and 715s. As others have said, there is no 1 setting fits all. It is entirely dependent on the gig. Get your console set up first with proper gain staging and set your output where you normally would then turn up the speakers to the desired max level that you think you'll need for the performance.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 10:01:46 AM »

Doesn't anyone use limiters anymore? You should at the very least have a peak limiter in place to prevent the amps from clipping no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the system is set up properly there's no reason to use a limiter. Maximum output for the system will be derived prior to clipping and prior to reaching the limits of the components being driven. And besides, only sissy's use limiters.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »

If the system is set up properly there's no reason to use a limiter. Maximum output for the system will be derived prior to clipping and prior to reaching the limits of the components being driven. And besides, only sissy's use limiters.
Technically, since this post is about powered speakers, everyone is using limiters - whether they know it or not.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 12:53:46 PM »

You don't do much DJ work do you Bob?????
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 01:10:26 PM »

Technically, since this post is about powered speakers, everyone is using limiters - whether they know it or not.
Even those of us who are passive - at least at the club level. The only power amp I've purchased in the last several years without built-in limiting was a Yamaha P7000s.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »

As Tim said-I hope you do not mean actual VU meters.

I know it is "proper" to have everything in the system clip at the same time (to have the most dynamic range), but I disagree with that concept.

And others will disagree-but here is my reason.

I would prefer the amps to "run out of gas" 6dB before everything else in the system.

The "problem" with everything clipping at the same time means that it will sound REALLY REALLY bad all of a sudden-with everything clipping at once).

If the amps clip a bit earlier, then you will have a bit of "fuzz" to the sound (assuming the amps clip gracefully-not all do), before it get really bad (with everything clipping at the same time).

The other problem with trying to use the meters on the console to give an idea of how far you are away from clipping, is that many conosles do not have meters that go all the way to clip.

They may go to +10 or so, then have the clip LED (which may be at +24dBu.

That gives a range of 14dB (give or take) that you have NO idea how loud it really is.

So the whole idea of the meters giving you an idea is out the window.

Good point Ivan. 

Some speakers sound very bad when they start to clip (my DSR's don't).  I think it largely depends on how the OEM implemented the limiters.  It appears that the DSR's have a soft limit and a good measure of hysteresis to keep things sounding good even if you are stupid with them (the afore mentioned DJ gig for instance ;) ).

I still don't think pegging the input sensitivity as a matter of practice is such a good idea.

To you and Tim, yes, I used the term "VU meter" improperly.  I haven't actually seen one out in the wild for some time ;)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 04:20:19 AM »

I still don't think pegging the input sensitivity as a matter of practice is such a good idea.

I would consider doing it for a small/quiet event in order to have the master faders in a more 'normal' position.

Having said that, I have done a lot of small/quiet events and have never turned down the input controls!

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 04:20:19 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.