ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Si Expression heat?  (Read 1793 times)

Stephen Kirby

Si Expression heat?
« on: August 10, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »

My Soundcraft Expression 2 got here Friday and I spent the weekend running it though it's paces, learning it (which is really obvious) and burning it in running music though it for 2 days.

One thing I noticed is that the top of the console gets fairly hot.  The little open area on the upper left (above where the power inlet is) where they always show someone resting an iPad gets the hottest.  My IR gun has gone MIA on me but it's at least 50C.  Is this typical for these things?  I had my headphones resting there and the parts that touched the console felt warm when I picked them up.  Not sure I would want an iPad sitting right on the metal all day.  For reference, it's about as hot as a phone gets when it freaks out and runs everything at once, draining the battery.

My first gig with the thing will be an outdoor 6:00PM thing where I may not be able to put up a canopy because of sight lines.

I haven't bought a case for it yet but noticed in research that some case manufacturers talk about airflow under the console.  There aren't any vents underneath but the bottom surface does get warm as well.  Is this important?  This is just for local use so I don't want the weight of a 1/2" ATA case with dog house.  But the lighter weight cases don't have the risers in them for airflow.

Other than that, I'm really happy with this choice.  Very intuitive and I can pretty much run things without my reading glasses.  All the controls are spaced out and pretty easy to learn.  I should have very little trouble getting bandmates to be able to help with basic mixing functions on it.

Next up is getting a wifi access point for it.  The Linksys router I had laying around turned out to have issues so it's off to Frys for that an a CyberPower UPS.

As an aside, I got a set of the MixTagz markers at the same time.  But they don't seem to stick very well to the top.  Other magnetic things I have are fine.  Nice idea but I may either go back to tape or make some of my own.  They could use being a bit narrower so you can easily put a couple of layers worth above the faders.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Si Expression heat?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »

My Si Compact gets pretty hot like you describe. Hasn't burnt up yet! Even in moderate sun.

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »

I use my Si3 outside in the Texas heat fairly regularly, it does get uncomfortably warm by itself anywhere I use it, but even outside i have never had a problem with its operation even when it is hot outside.

I do always go out of my way to keep out of direct sunlight.
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: RCF HDL6a, NX-L44a, 8006-AS, EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, JBL PRX835w, SRX828SP, Yorkville LS2100P, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Digico SD12, SD11, Soundcraft Si Perf 1, Exp 3, Comp 24, Midas M32, Presonus SL 32SX, SL 16r, Mackie DL1608

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:24:57 PM »

They can get a bit hot, but I've left mine on for over a week with no issues.

You need a WAP, not specifically a router.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »

Thanks folks.  Good to know that the heat is normal.  Sometimes it's good to compare with others to make sure you don't have something odd going on.

The router I had saved when we got a new modem/router/AP from the ISP was an AP.  But it wouldn't let me reconfigure anything.  So I'll start fresh.  Worth having a dual band anyway.  Part of my day job is building Chromecasts.  If I can't get it to do what I want, I have help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.