ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM question  (Read 1201 times)

Kevin Bayersdorfer

IEM question
« on: August 04, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »

I haven't be doing live sound for all that long and have never mixed a band with IEM. I have this big gig I scored this weekend that is kind of high profile that i got from a major player in live sound in the area and I don't want to screw it up, as he could get me some real lucrative gigs. I met the guy at a BBQ fest I did last year and he asked for my card because he said I had a great mix and a nice little rig. The gig is a Wine and food fest, 2 days 5 bands per day, under a tent that is approximately 80x30. One band so far that I know of for sure is using IEM's, they are a 4 piece. Is it just as simple as sending them monitor outs? Just making sure the whole band is in each mix? Any compression so their ears don't get blown out? What about an ambient mic/mics, are they necessary, if so placement? I am using a Behringer XR-18 so I will have 5 aux out to use for them as the 6th is my aux fed subs. 
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: IEM question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »

...Is it just as simple as sending them monitor outs? Just making sure the whole band is in each mix?

Yep! It's pretty much the same routine as floor wedges. Just send them whatever channels and levels they ask for.

Any compression so their ears don't get blown out?

If they bring their own...Most proper IEM systems have limiters built into the transmitter/receiver to protect the user. Shame on them if they don't. If it's any consolation, IEM's are less prone to feedback than floor wedges. If the whole band uses them, you are golden.

What about an ambient mic/mics, are they necessary, if so placement?...
Again, it's up to them to bring that. Many IEM systems have an input for a lapel mic.

With a good inclusive IEM mix, the band should hear each other very well. They may have trouble hearing audience members or anyone who speaks to them without being near a stage mic. To them, it's like having in ear plugs, but they can survive without it for one set.

If you have a free mixer channel, you may want to use a talk-back mic to communicate with them. Just plug in any cheap mic and send it to their aux mixes, but not to the main L/R mix.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:42:12 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: IEM question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.