ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conference Mic headset output problem  (Read 3155 times)

Brian Caddock

Conference Mic headset output problem
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:27:43 AM »

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect a laptop to a conference microphone system which is custom installed into a meeting room table.  I don't have access to the mixer and amps as they are in a room many metres away and we can't run cables to and from it.

For each user the desk has a little console built into it with a push to talk button, channel select, volume control and headphone output.

I am trying to connect the headphone output via a 3.5mm - 2 RCA cable to a USB soundcard with RCA inputs so that the audio can be used for a video conference.

Unfortunately, when I connect the 3.5mm cable to the headphone output, and then to the soundcard, the console switches off and no audio is provided. 

The cable works, because when I plug the RCA end into a Yamaha active monitor speaker, the console stays on and works normally, but if I connect it to the soundcard, it dies.

I've also tried connecting a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to the console, and then to the microphone input on a Mac..  Same result, the console dies. 

I've attached a picture of the console to try to help explain matters further.

I can't figure out why it isn't working.  I'm guessing that it is perhaps impedance related? 

Any suggestions for fixes or workarounds?  Currently my only idea is to connect it via the monitor speaker, and then connect another cable to the line out of the monitor speaker, and then on into the soundcard.  Seems like a complicated work around but I think it will work.  Update:  it doesn't work doing that.  When I connect the cable to the line out it kills the output from the console.  D'oh!

Many thanks,
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:59:01 AM by Brian Caddock »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber