ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twist Lock and distro questions  (Read 5411 times)

Allen Smith

Twist Lock and distro questions
« on: August 08, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »

I am looking to buy/construct a power distro for a small sound and lighting system.  I am looking at 50 amp twist-lock connectors and 6/4 SOOW wire.  Lighting will be LED and the audio wattage will be between 15k and 20k watts with amplifiers that are efficient.

I have several questions.

Do all or most of the various brands of twist-lock connectors (assuming they are correctly matched) mate well across brands or are there enough dimensional discrepancies to make mating a pain?

I was looking at some of the premade Coleman 50 amp twist-lock cables.  They seem less expensive than making my own.  I see two differences, the ground is 8 gauge instead of 6 and the jacket is SEOW.  Is there any reason I shouldn't consider this cable?

I am looking at various rack mount 220 breakouts.  They seem to mostly have 20 amp 110v outlet outputs.  I am using a PL380 which requires a 30 amp service and will likely add at least one more.  Given that these types of very high wattage amps are pretty common, why are there so many rack mount distros designed for amp racks that have only 20 amp outlets?

Matt Lillie

• SR Forums
Re: Twist Lock and distro questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »

http://www.dimmerrack.com/RAKBOXL5.html

I've not had issues with different brands.

I am looking to buy/construct a power distro for a small sound and lighting system.  I am looking at 50 amp twist-lock connectors and 6/4 SOOW wire.  Lighting will be LED and the audio wattage will be between 15k and 20k watts with amplifiers that are efficient.

Do all or most of the various brands of twist-lock connectors (assuming they are correctly matched) mate well across brands or are there enough dimensional discrepancies to make mating a pain?

I was looking at some of the premade Coleman 50 amp twist-lock cables.  They seem less expensive than making my own.  I see two differences, the ground is 8 gauge instead of 6 and the jacket is SEOW.  Is there any reason I shouldn't consider this cable?

I am looking at various rack mount 220 breakouts.  They seem to mostly have 20 amp 110v outlet outputs.  I am using a PL380 which requires a 30 amp service and will likely add at least one more.  Given that these types of very high wattage amps are pretty common, why are there so many rack mount distros designed for amp racks that have only 20 amp outlets?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 03:16:56 PM »

Be specific about the rack mount units you are considering.

If you order one from a reputable company, they can build to your needs.

My amp rack distro has all 5-20 outlets. I use a PL 6.0 (predecessor to the PL380) and made a short adapter cable with a male 5-20 and a female L5-30. QSC is required to put the 30a connector on by UL because the current draw could be close to 20a and UL's rule is to require the next bigger connector if the current can be more than 80% (not sure of the exact %) of the connector spec. Lots of folks simply chop off the L5-30 but I don't like to do that.

Where do you plan to use your gear? If it is a place that the NEC requires SO cable, then SE may not be permitted. Check the code. My guess is it cheaper because it isn't as good as SO (or more commonly SOOW).

You are buying a multi thousand dollar amp. Buy the right cable too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »

Depending on the current draw, you might want to consider 4/4 SOOW for your feeder cable to minmize the voltage drop. More weight and more expense, but a more robust solution, especially for long runs. YMMV, but buy once, cry once.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Allen Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »

Depending on the current draw, you might want to consider 4/4 SOOW for your feeder cable to minmize the voltage drop. More weight and more expense, but a more robust solution, especially for long runs. YMMV, but buy once, cry once.

Thats probably good advice but Ugh. My old distro was 4/4 and man I hated that thing.  I am using so much less current than back then, I am going to try and get away with 6/4.  I am thinking max 150' so I think I can get away with it.

Allen Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 10:17:26 PM »

Matt, thanks for the link.  I had looked at them about a year ago and couldnt find the page again.  I think I will buy one this weekend.

Allen Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:18:46 PM »

Be specific about the rack mount units you are considering.

If you order one from a reputable company, they can build to your needs.

My amp rack distro has all 5-20 outlets. I use a PL 6.0 (predecessor to the PL380) and made a short adapter cable with a male 5-20 and a female L5-30. QSC is required to put the 30a connector on by UL because the current draw could be close to 20a and UL's rule is to require the next bigger connector if the current can be more than 80% (not sure of the exact %) of the connector spec. Lots of folks simply chop off the L5-30 but I don't like to do that.

Where do you plan to use your gear? If it is a place that the NEC requires SO cable, then SE may not be permitted. Check the code. My guess is it cheaper because it isn't as good as SO (or more commonly SOOW).

You are buying a multi thousand dollar amp. Buy the right cable too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob,

Thanks for the advice, I ordered the SOOW.  I agree better to get the right cable and build my own.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »

I have a couple of smaller amp rack power distros. Since I'm a little old skool and still use Crown 3600's and 5000's the rack distros have RV (30 amp) outlets on the back with 50A Hubble Twistlocks on the front for power input.

These have worked very well for several years.

We have now added a new distro for our powered monitor rig. It still uses the 50A Hubble for power input but we added Neutrix power con twistlocks for the outputs. No ground faults required in Minnesota since they are twistlocks.

Works well for us.

Bo Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Allen Smith

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 05:27:20 PM »

I have a couple of smaller amp rack power distros. Since I'm a little old skool and still use Crown 3600's and 5000's the rack distros have RV (30 amp) outlets on the back with 50A Hubble Twistlocks on the front for power input.

These have worked very well for several years.

We have now added a new distro for our powered monitor rig. It still uses the 50A Hubble for power input but we added Neutrix power con twistlocks for the outputs. No ground faults required in Minnesota since they are twistlocks.

Works well for us.

Bo Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Bo, 

Thanks for the feedback.  I have something on the way similar to what you are using. 

Allen Smith

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »

Matt,

I purchased one of their rack mount units and it worked flawlessly last night for an outdoor gig using a generator.  Thanks for the feedback on this company!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.