ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding trhe perfect x-over point  (Read 14698 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Finding trhe perfect x-over point
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »

try 130hz. i have tried many different woofer to mids crossover points and 120-140 always sounds best. i dont agree with crossing below 120 on the woofer to mids.
This doesn't make any sense at all.
What if his subs won't play up that high? There really is no right answer for a crossover point. It depends on everything in the system. Not just the low mid driver.

You two are talking about 2 different things. Jeff is talking about the crossover from his woofer to his midrange in a multiway system, Everyone else is talking about the crossover from the subwoofer to the full range.

I would rarely recommend extending a sub above 90-100Hz, particularly if there is a chance of any vocals getting into the subs.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »

Fair enough, but the OP is talking about a passive 2 way box over a sub. Not much room for a low-mid driver in there.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »

Fair enough, but the OP is talking about a passive 2 way box over a sub. Not much room for a low-mid driver in there.

Being a 2 way box it doesn't have a mid driver, it still has a low driver and a high driver unless it is specifically designed as a mid/hi box.

Any 2 way that gets down to under 100Hz can be used with a sub below 100hz.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »

Being a 2 way box it doesn't have a mid driver, it still has a low driver and a high driver unless it is specifically designed as a mid/hi box.

Mac

I see your point and concede. I am of a mind that any 2-way cabinet has a mid and a hi. A low and a hi would leave a hole in the (mid)dle. At least that's the way my reptile brain interprets it...

:o
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 06:19:18 PM »

This doesn't make any sense at all.

What if his subs won't play up that high? There really is no right answer for a crossover point. It depends on everything in the system. Not just the low mid driver.
i have never heard of a woofer that will not go to 130hz. all 18's will go to 130hz. what brand of woofers are those ? are they 21" ? why would it depend on all the other drivers in the system ?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:23:37 PM by Jeff Bankston »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 06:21:38 PM »

Mac
so why not cross the 2way box at the same frequency as the additional woofer.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 11:12:15 PM »

i have never heard of a woofer that will not go to 130hz. all 18's will go to 130hz. what brand of woofers are those ? are they 21" ? why would it depend on all the other drivers in the system ?

Many bandpass boxes won't. Plenty of folded horns won't do it well. Also many, many subs just don't sound good playing freqs that high. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. For most rigs, your male vocals will be coming out of the PA right into most peoples' shins....

duane massey

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »

For most rigs, your male vocals will be coming out of the PA right into most peoples' shins....

This might be a good thing for some of the "singers" I've heard lately.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 09:39:36 PM »

i can sing very low way lower than any rock singer ever sang and i cant get below about 150hz. i have listened over a long period to music while playing with my crossovers. i have 7 Ashly crossovers 2-XR4001 and 5-XR1001 and 2 are in my home system. they are 24db l-r. the guy singing bass in these 2 Elvira videos is way lower than we sing or any rock singer that i know of. i just did another listening test he does come in the woofer below 130hz but its very faint. i was using my Radio Shack digital spl meter and the spl was between 97 and 102. one thing that is thumping hard below 130hz is the bass drum. i can sing almost like the Molly Hatchet guy in the 3rd video and i dont hear him in the woofer at all. i can just barely hear a tad of Bob Segar on some of the words in the 4th video. i did this long ago and thought you guys might like to try it with your systems. i spent a lot of time long ago trying different crossover points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qK-9eIF2yI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdFghZmdwXk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAQHPdbGtt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG-wuWNIyzI

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 09:43:42 PM »

i can sing very low way lower than any rock singer ever sang and i cant get below about 150hz.

I don't know how low you, or anyone else can sing, but I hear vocals in the subs even with a 100Hz crossover if I don't use aux fed subs. For anyone near the subs it sounds very bad.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 09:43:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.