ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding trhe perfect x-over point  (Read 14702 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Finding trhe perfect x-over point
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 09:55:39 PM »

I don't know how low you, or anyone else can sing, but I hear vocals in the subs even with a 100Hz crossover if I don't use aux fed subs. For anyone near the subs it sounds very bad.

Mac

I just did around 90 or a bit below with no problem.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 10:44:34 PM »

I just did around 90 or a bit below with no problem.

The lead guitar player in my band can hit a solid 60hz on a good night. And I mean SOLID.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »

maybe its the type of crossovers you guys are using and that will make a difference. My Ashlys are 24db/oct. 18db and 12db will allow more to cross into the other drivers due to the shallower slope. i was under the impression that 24db/oct l-r crossovers had become the standard long ago. i wish someone made a 48db/oct active crossover. i knew a speaker builder that made 48db/oct passive crossovers but he retired and dissapeared several years ago.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 02:11:55 AM »

maybe its the type of crossovers you guys are using and that will make a difference. My Ashlys are 24db/oct. 18db and 12db will allow more to cross into the other drivers due to the shallower slope. i was under the impression that 24db/oct l-r crossovers had become the standard long ago. i wish someone made a 48db/oct active crossover. i knew a speaker builder that made 48db/oct passive crossovers but he retired and dissapeared several years ago.

There are 48db/oct crossovers out there. In fact most of the mid to high-end DSP's will do that.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 03:21:32 AM »

I assume that there is some low-cut applied since this is vinyl but he has a great deep voice and show off in the end of the song.

http://youtu.be/adoeYmbEC2Q

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 03:37:00 AM »

I assume that there is some low-cut applied since this is vinyl but he has a great deep voice and show off in the end of the song.

http://youtu.be/adoeYmbEC2Q
he got pretty low at the end. his voice has some weight to it.

John L Nobile

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 07:25:18 AM »

A true bass vocal will get down to 80 hz while a baritone will go down to 100 hz. I've never worked with a true bass.
Tenors only go down to 130 hz.
This is from a vocal range chart and may only apply to a trained vocalist. Do they still exist?

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 05:04:35 PM »

A true bass vocal will get down to 80 hz while a baritone will go down to 100 hz. I've never worked with a true bass.
Tenors only go down to 130 hz.
This is from a vocal range chart and may only apply to a trained vocalist. Do they still exist?
i dont know but the Oak Ridge Boy singer is the lowest i ever heard. i only listen to the Elvira song they do. I am a rock n roll guy.

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 05:05:09 PM »

WOW, it seems I hadn't been notified of the multitude of additional responses, sorry...

Yes, My system is actually comprised of a Main box with a High and a Low and an additional subwoofer.

130Hz, well, my subs sound like total crap crossed over that high, very floppy and muddy.

As per the manufacturer's specs, they recommend a 90Hz crossover point at a minimum and it sounds pretty good there but I've found that the system gels a bit better when I move the crossover point a bit lower.

Like I said, I'm pretty happy with my setting, I was just wondering if anybody had any tricks they'd like to share to help me get to the best possible crossover point a bit quicker, that's all.
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

John L Nobile

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »

i dont know but the Oak Ridge Boy singer is the lowest i ever heard. i only listen to the Elvira song they do. I am a rock n roll guy.

Singer with the Crash Test Dummies is the lowest pop vocalist I can remember hearing. Very nice character in his voice. I'd say that he's a true bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1c1j2szXTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIbcqgXh5-4

I'd be setting my HPF at 80 for this guy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.