ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to seal an EAW subwoofer cab?  (Read 5106 times)

Mitch Philips

Best way to seal an EAW subwoofer cab?
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »

Hello! I am having an issue with one of my EAW subs. I bought this sub from an old store a few days ago. I am having a problem with it though, one of the drivers is leaking air. It is a ported box but it still leaks air. I tried screwing in the drivers as tight as they would go without acually damaging the drivers, yet it still leaks air. What would you recommend would be the best way to fix this?

Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Best way to seal an EAW subwoofer cab?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »

Hello! I am having an issue with one of my EAW subs. I bought this sub from an old store a few days ago. I am having a problem with it though, one of the drivers is leaking air. It is a ported box but it still leaks air. I tried screwing in the drivers as tight as they would go without acually damaging the drivers, yet it still leaks air. What would you recommend would be the best way to fix this?

Thanks!

Where does it leak air?

Mac

Mitch Philips

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 12:23:12 PM »

Where does it leak air?

Mac

Sorry. I should have elaborated more. It's leaking right around where the drivers screw into the cabinet.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »

Sorry. I should have elaborated more. It's leaking right around where the drivers screw into the cabinet.
Try putting some foam tape around where the driver mounts.

It should squish down and seal any air leaks.  Unless the area is large-and then it gets a bit more complicated.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Bankston

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 12:01:36 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Mortite-90-Window-Caulk-Rope/dp/B00ALX0FJW/ref=lp_9273730011_1_1?srs=9273730011&ie=UTF8&qid=1438919862&sr=8-1

Remove the woofers, apply a cord of caulk around the rabbited mounting hole and reinstall the woofers, taking care to NOT over-tighten the screws.  Tighten them like you would the lugs on your tires (or tyres).  You want to draw the speaker frame evenly into the bed of caulk.

This stuff is great for access ports, too.  Maybe too good. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 01:35:35 AM »

Heres some sealer

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-gasketing-tape-1-8-x-1-2-x-50-ft-roll--260-542

I've used that as well on thing's I've built.  Works well and you can take things back apart easily.  Sometimes it sticks to the speaker frame but it's easily pealed off and you just use some new stuff when it goes back in.

Richard Turner

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »

https://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_Marketing_Communications/united_states/product_promotional_materials/finished_assets/sheetrock-acoustical-sealant-submittal-J678.pdf

... use at your peril.... you will need a crowbar to peel the woofer off the cabinet baffle but it will not leak.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.