ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cadence or Eminence speakers?  (Read 11838 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Cadence or Eminence speakers?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »

He said he is looking for something "better".

But unless you know what you are doing, a "better" driver may not perform as well. 

It may be quite possible to find a driver that may be a bit more sensitive or have a higher power rating than the original. Better?....who knows.
However, you need all the CORRECT specs of the original driver to compare with specs from a REPUTABLE vendor...like B/C or 18 Sound.
Best bet is replace with the original driver the cab was designed to work with.

We think that pro manufacturers play fast and loose with specs but these car audio suppliers take it to a new level of BS !
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »

It may be quite possible to find a driver that may be a bit more sensitive or have a higher power rating than the original. Better?....who knows.
However, you need all the CORRECT specs of the original driver to compare with specs from a REPUTABLE vendor...like B/C or 18 Sound.
Best bet is replace with the original driver the cab was designed to work with.

We think that pro manufacturers play fast and loose with specs but these car audio suppliers take it to a new level of BS !

Perhaps I'm getting the most I will ever get by utilizing the OEM drivers from carvin and going with a "better" driver like the Eminence won't make a difference (or anythjng noticable) because I'm still using the Carvin Trx cabinet...
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 10:00:27 PM »

I just noticed something I don't thing anyone picked up on, you said you were going to order 4 ohm drivers..Your cab is rated at 4 ohms with 2 drivers, so they are probably 8 ohm drivers in parallel. Don't want you blowing an amp...

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 07:01:02 AM »

I just noticed something I don't thing anyone picked up on, you said you were going to order 4 ohm drivers..Your cab is rated at 4 ohms with 2 drivers, so they are probably 8 ohm drivers in parallel. Don't want you blowing an amp...

And with regards to that amp thingy, the OP mentioned that he has a QSC PL4.0 for sub duty.  Is this one amp for all four subwoofer cabinets, or one amp per cabinet? 

John

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 06:37:56 PM »

And with regards to that amp thingy, the OP mentioned that he has a QSC PL4.0 for sub duty.  Is this one amp for all four subwoofer cabinets, or one amp per cabinet? 

John

ALL the sub woofers in all 4 of my dual 18" sub cabinets are 4 OHM, not 8ohm...

Yes, I have 1 PL4.0 power amp powering 2 dual 18" cabs for smaller venues, then if needed I double up on the sub cabs (4 total) for a bit larger venues still utilizing 1 PL4.0 power amp utilizing a NL2 connector jumper from one sub cab to the next for each side.

I've NEVER had any problems and it produces some good low end... Never had the amp burn up or crap out on me.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »

That doesn't sound right.  As John said, two 4 ohm drivers will create a 2 ohm load.  Two such cabinets would make for a 1 ohm load.  Four such cabinets would make for a 1/2 ohm load unless you had some sort of series/parallel hook up, where you could get it back to the original 4 ohm load.  Although if any of the series drivers blew, anything in that series part of the circuit is out of operation.

When you say you have one PL4 powering 2 cabs, are you saying that each cab gets one channel of the amp?  Or are two cabinets hooked to one channel and the other two on the other side hooked to the 2nd channel of the amp?  Or, the 3rd possibility that you're running one PL4 bridged per side into 2 or even 4 cabinets?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 08:06:28 PM »

Or, the 3rd possibility that you're running one PL4 bridged per side into 2 or even 4 cabinets?
That would be even worse.

If his drivers are actually 4 ohm, then each cabinet is 2 ohms-and 2 cabinets in parallel are 1 ohm.

So the amp channels would each be "seeing" a 0.5 ohm load.

NOT good for any amp-EXCEPT the old Crown MA10K.

PS I am still looking for one of those (working or not) for my amp collection.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »

Or, the 3rd possibility that you're running one PL4 bridged per side into 2 or even 4 cabinets?
That would be even worse.

If his drivers are actually 4 ohm, then each cabinet is 2 ohms-and 2 cabinets in parallel are 1 ohm.

So the amp channels would each be "seeing" a 0.5 ohm load.

NOT good for any amp-EXCEPT the old Crown MA10K.

PS I am still looking for one of those (working or not) for my amp collection.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:48 PM »

That doesn't sound right.  As John said, two 4 ohm drivers will create a 2 ohm load.
Unless those two 4 Ohm drivers are wired in series inside the cabinet. Then each dual 18 would present a nominal 8 Ohm load.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 07:29:20 AM »

Unless those two 4 Ohm drivers are wired in series inside the cabinet. Then each dual 18 would present a nominal 8 Ohm load.
True.

It is impossible to say without more information.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 07:29:20 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.