ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Useing separate buildings  (Read 5996 times)

Gus Housen

Useing separate buildings
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »

I am doing a street fair next week and they want me to plug into separate buildings for my power needs besides this being a night mare of cable runs what are the best arguments for not doing this.
These are buildings with separate service panels and possibly different transformers

And also arguments against  plugging into two generators ( for just audio).

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:49:47 PM by Gus Housen »

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Useing separate buildings
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:59:47 PM »

Start here:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,150258.0.html

There are a LOT of issues-and this was a very thorough discussion.
Steve Swaffer

David Buckley

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:42:33 PM »

Just don't.  The reason why isn't even clearly explained on the above-linked-to page, though there is a hint as to why there can be mega danger.

If you have to use two supplies then you need wireless or unshielded fibre between the two sets of powered things, and keep each consumer of power near its source and very far away from each other.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »

Just don't.  The reason why isn't even clearly explained on the above-linked-to page, though there is a hint as to why there can be mega danger.

If you have to use two supplies then you need wireless or unshielded fibre between the two sets of powered things, and keep each consumer of power near its source and very far away from each other.

THIS.

Gus, can you tell us a little more about the layout and distances involved?  The solution that's worked best for me is to use RF program distribution.  Any correct and sufficient source of power will do as there is no common audio connection of equipment amongst separate power sources.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:35:36 AM »

THIS.

Gus, can you tell us a little more about the layout and distances involved?  The solution that's worked best for me is to use RF program distribution.  Any correct and sufficient source of power will do as there is no common audio connection of equipment amongst separate power sources.
I've done exactly that for delay stacks using a single Lectrosonic belt pack transmitter at the FOH console, and receivers at each delay location. The most complex setup we use this on was for the Maryland Symphony Orchestra outside at the Antietam Battlefield with 40,000 listeners. We have 10 delay speaker stacks, each with their own Lectrosonics receiver, EQ, delay, and power amps. The furthest stack is 600 feet from the stage, so that needs a LOT of delay. All receivers are tuned to the same frequency, so it only needs a single belt pack transmitter with a wall-wart power supply mounted up on a mic stand about 10 ft above the console just to get line-of-site to all the receivers. I keep a second transmitter belt-pack hooked up as well for redundancy, and only have to swap wall-warts if the first transmitter goes down. This system has worked perfectly for the last 15 years or so since I originally designed it. The FOH system is powered from a large generator, as are the close delay stacks. But the far delay stack pull power from a separate building on the site. This all works perfectly and eliminates thousands of feet of wire on the ground that would otherwise be needed.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »

I have done the belt pack to remote speaker as well.

But more there's wait

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless
Not to Code

Gus Housen

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »

THIS.

its for a down town street dance, the organizers are like " we can get a 20 amp over hear one over here. I am like no way, its possibly dangerous, and they are like "why"? Its not for 2 speakers here or here but rather a significant bandstand stage 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »

Gus...

I've been asked to do the same thing and I recommend this:

Just say no.

Tell them it's uninsurable and irresponsible.  Have the city electricians explain it to them and hold firm for proper power.

Generator is really the best way to go...a proper one, not a welder from the shop.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Sokol

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:38:14 PM »

Gus...

I've been asked to do the same thing and I recommend this:

Just say no.

Tell them it's uninsurable and irresponsible.  Have the city electricians explain it to them and hold firm for proper power.

Generator is really the best way to go...a proper one, not a welder from the shop.

Running power from two different buildings to a common stage is about as dangerous as it gets. For example, if the backline power is connected to one building, and the mixer/amps are connected to another building, you have a real possibility of electrocuting someone on stage holding a guitar and putting their lips on a mic. Tell them that because you've warned them and they now know of the danger, that if you bail out and someone else does the gig, anyone dying from this hookup could result in serious litigation and possibly criminal prosecution of all parties involved. And you DO NOT want to be one of those parties.  Dick is right... get them to rent in a nice Honda inverter generator. An EU3000is genny can power a pretty substantial stage and is so quiet you can hardly hear it from 10 feet away. And if the show needs a lot more power, then rent a 25KW WhisperWatt style genny for the day. The last one I rented for an outside gig a few months ago cost $250 a day if we picked it up and delivered it back to the rental house.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »

Running power from two different buildings to a common stage is about as dangerous as it gets. For example, if the backline power is connected to one building, and the mixer/amps are connected to another building, you have a real possibility of electrocuting someone on stage holding a guitar and putting their lips on a mic. Tell them that because you've warned them and they now know of the danger, that if you bail out and someone else does the gig, anyone dying from this hookup could result in serious litigation and possibly criminal prosecution of all parties involved. And you DO NOT want to be one of those parties.  Dick is right... get them to rent in a nice Honda inverter generator. An EU3000is genny can power a pretty substantial stage and is so quiet you can hardly hear it from 10 feet away. And if the show needs a lot more power, then rent a 25KW WhisperWatt style genny for the day. The last one I rented for an outside gig a few months ago cost $250 a day if we picked it up and delivered it back to the rental house.

Mike...

I'd change just one thing in your response:

Rent your own generator and add it into the event cost/your charge.  Expecting any outfit proposing such risky expediencies to get a proper generator is unlikely.  Hence my previous mention of the shop welder...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »

Similar to the multi house fireworks thread, I would think that commercial buildings would have some higher end service that the organizers can negotiate access to.

The only street festivals I've done have had municipal CA outlets ready to go.  But I'm curious for people who do this more often with generators, do you drive the ground rod right though the asphalt?  No guaranties that there will be open ground reasonably close to where then generator goes in today's concrete jungles.  I don't think a planter box counts.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 07:29:08 PM »

Mike...

I'd change just one thing in your response:

Rent your own generator and add it into the event cost/your charge.  Expecting any outfit proposing such risky expediencies to get a proper generator is unlikely.  Hence my previous mention of the shop welder...
You're probably right. They think a generator is a generator is a generator. >:(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:27:07 AM by Mike Sokol »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 08:37:31 PM »

Gus, if this is next weekend (7th, 8th, 9th) I'd be happy to send my dad up there with our 45kW for a great price. Pair of spider boxes, couple of 100' 50A cables, and you will be good to go.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 02:12:26 AM »

The reason is that power from two different sources can have very different voltage potential on the grounds. Since the audio ground is bonded to the chassis ground  of the equipment is bonded to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit is bonded to to neutral conductor of the supplying transformer, this difference of potential can result in significant current on your audio grounds.

Besides introducing noise ("ground loop hum"), these currents can melt audio wires and, if a person completes the circuit between the two systems (as when touching a microphone and guitar strings at the same time), there is a high possibility of electric shock, and a very real danger of electrocution. And that's with everything wired properly and according to code and in good repair.

Another consideration is electrically bonding the metal structure of stages to the grounding system of the power source. There is at least one thread here that discusses that.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 06:58:38 AM »

The reason is that power from two different sources can have very different voltage potential on the grounds. Since the audio ground is bonded to the chassis ground  of the equipment is bonded to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit is bonded to to neutral conductor of the supplying transformer, this difference of potential can result in significant current on your audio grounds.

Ah yes.... and here's a PPT slide from one of my NSZ classes that shows how the current flows between two pieces of gear connected by XLR cables. Note that since the current loop includes the XLR cable shield as well as its twisted pair, you don't need to split out the conductors like you need to for an extension cord with both outgoing and return currents that null out the meter readings. Just clamp your ammeter around the XLR cable and you'll be amazed to see how much ground loop current flows at times. Even 100 mA of current can make a lot of powered speakers hum. 

I've done enough experiments with my Ground Loop Maker rig to find that current flow between interconnected audio gear is typically around 1 ampere per volt of Ground Loop Differential. So even at a moderate 2 or 3 volt difference between two different "grounds", you'll measure 2 or 3 amps current with a clamp meter around the interconnecting XLR cable. Now if you look inside a lot of audio gear you'll find that Pin 1 doesn't immediately terminate at the chassis as one would expect. Lots of times it's routed though a connector and traces on the circuit board. That trace on the board isn't rated for that level of fault current, and can melt like a fuse. (Ask me how I know this).

I've personally measured 5 volts difference in the ground potential between two sides of a single large warehouse building with an all steel structure. Imagine how many volts potential can exist between two different buildings. And there will be hundreds or even thousands of amperes of current behind this voltage difference, so ALL the voltage drop will occur between your audio gear. See the picture of an IMP2 DI box that got in the middle of a big voltage difference. Thanks, Al Keltz from Whirlwind for sending me the pic.

So don't put your audio gear in the middle of HUGE potential currents and voltages. Pulling all power from a single source is always the best way to eliminate ground loop hum, equipment damage, and most importantly, human injury or death from electric shock.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:12:57 AM by Mike Sokol »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 06:58:38 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.