ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 600 MHz Auction  (Read 9685 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
600 MHz Auction
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »

Just saw this from one of my Shure contacts:

Mike Sokol

======================================

The FCC will address several issues relating to the use of wireless microphones in the next meeting on August 6.  These should include details about how wireless microphones will be allowed to operate in the 600 MHz guard bands and the 'duplex gap', refinements to the rules for operating them in the post-auction TV band and new frequency bands.  Here are the specific documents which will be discussed:

*   Incentive Auction Procedures
The Commission will take the next step to commencing the incentive auction in the first quarter of 2016 by considering the Procedures Public Notice, which adopts a balanced set of auction procedures that will ensure an effective, efficient, and timely auction. The Public Notice establishes and provides information on final procedures for setting the initial spectrum clearing target, qualifying to bid, and bidding in the reverse and forward auctions.

*   Unlicensed Operations in TV Bands and 600 MHz Band
The Commission will consider a Report and Order that adopts technical and operational rules for unlicensed services, including wireless microphone operations, in the broadcast television bands and in the post-incentive auction 600 MHz band. The rules are intended to maximize unlicensed access to spectrum while ensuring that licensed services are protected from harmful interference.

*   Wireless Microphones
The Commission will consider a Report and Order that adopts a plan to accommodate the long-term needs of wireless microphone users by providing new opportunities for their use in the broadcast television bands and in several other frequency bands.

Chris Lyons
Senior Manager, Conferencing Market Communications
Shure Inc.
5800 W. Touhy Ave.
Niles, IL 60714 USA
847-600-8704 tel

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: 600 MHz Auction
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »

I almost wish they would just drop the hammer and require that wireless mics and IEMs etc...be licensed. That way we can stop having to work around these rule changes and swapping out equipment every few years, and have a dedicated space in which to operate without worry of interference in either direction to other services.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:36:27 PM »

I almost wish they would just drop the hammer and require that wireless mics and IEMs etc...be licensed. That way we can stop having to work around these rule changes and swapping out equipment every few years, and have a dedicated space in which to operate without worry of interference in either direction to other services.

Requiring a license and designating spectrum (dedicated or not) in which to operate are two disparate things, almost mutually exclusive. The former is easy; the latter is a four dimensional Rubik's Cube fraught with politics vs. reasoning, money vs. physics, and job security concerns.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:11:26 AM »

Requiring a license and designating spectrum (dedicated or not) in which to operate are two disparate things, almost mutually exclusive. The former is easy; the latter is a four dimensional Rubik's Cube fraught with politics vs. reasoning, money vs. physics, and job security concerns.

IOW: Be careful what you wish for!

Another succinct post Henry.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 04:03:40 PM »

That's 5  ;D but I suspect it mostly MONEY !
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Thomas Le

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »

FierceWireless reports that March 29 is "tentative" for the start of the auction. Sennheiser speculates the transition will complete in 2019. Interesting that there exists a workaround to use "some" prohibited spectrum used by TV stations called "Co-channel Operation".

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/fcc-tentatively-sets-march-29-2016-start-date-600-mhz-incentive-auction/2015-07-20

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/spectrum

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »

What's the price range that they're looking at for selling off that bandwidth? It would be interesting (knowing the can of worms I am about to open) if someone in the industry with deep pockets (Uli Behringer comes to mind) were to step up and just buy the bandwith to ensure it remains open for our usage.

I'd do up, but "Ray's Wireless Spectrum" might be an odd marketing tact. And I seem to be a few billion shy of being able to. Ugh.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 05:53:24 PM »

What's the price range that they're looking at for selling off that bandwidth? It would be interesting (knowing the can of worms I am about to open) if someone in the industry with deep pockets (Uli Behringer comes to mind) were to step up and just buy the bandwith to ensure it remains open for our usage.

I'd do up, but "Ray's Wireless Spectrum" might be an odd marketing tact. And I seem to be a few billion shy of being able to. Ugh.

-Ray
Price is a good question.
Bandwidth is too an important and expensive resource to hold it and not have it work for you and make big money.  Wireless for audio is strictly small potatoes in the grand scheme of things (phone, wireless data, TV, etc.)  Even ULI doesn't have that much cash to sit on. And we can all be sure that if an industry benefactor would buy something for our use, be assured, it would be at a cost.   If there is any good news in it all, it is we're not now directly paying for the airtime for using wireless IEMs, mics, etc.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »

-Ray

There's no way anyone can buy this spectrum for wireless.  Billions$ is right.  The money to be made supplying media streaming to the general public is many times that cost.  To paraphrase, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the wireless."
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »

There's no way anyone can buy this spectrum for wireless.  Billions$ is right.  The money to be made supplying media streaming to the general public is many times that cost.  To paraphrase, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the wireless."
However, sometimes the needs of the one can outweigh the needs of the many especially if I am doing a concert and we are using all IEM's and wireless mics.  By default I should win. :o

Bill 
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.