ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: So what's wrong here?  (Read 12816 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: So what's wrong here?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »

I can just hear that drum kit on that hard stage ringing like crazy.  And that pancake snare tearing people's heads off.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 01:18:03 AM »

I can just hear that drum kit on that hard stage ringing like crazy.  And that pancake snare tearing people's heads off.

And the girl in the picture looks like she has a fat ass. That should absorb some of the reflections. So what is the real deal here? If the speakers work well as is, then so be it. Besides, it's not like it was the Beatles at Shea Stadium.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Slater

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 06:32:22 AM »

Lectern mic is at elbow height, and is a condenser in front of the mains.  Would be fun to manage... ;D

David Allred

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »

I want to "fix it", but they're just not receptive to it.

My experience with church bands and groups/singers, is that they are by far the hardest to deal with.  Egos are huge in that business, and it is the one genre that should have the smallest egos.  Go figure.  Blessed are the meek? 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 09:12:13 AM »

Blessed are the meek?

For they shall have boot prints on their backs.  /satire

Of all the various genres and types of performers I've dealt with I'll say that "religious" performers have been *among* the most difficult to work with.  I won't mention the name of the multiple Dove Award winner whose technical rider was about 12 pages long and fully half were dedicated to "thou shalt not permit the opening act to sound good" with various restrictions like not micing up the support's drum kit with more than 2 mics; nothing could touch the headliner's risers (no, you can't tip your Fender Champ against the riser leg or set your tambourine there).  Then we had to deal with the local church band openers who assumed that since they were opening for "the faith" that they could try songs they've never performed together, invite a guest or 2, etc. and then cop an attitude when we told them they were beyond the allocated channels for their group.

I put on my rap show smile and say "we'll get you through this."  And add another act to the list of performers that I'll take a day off, without pay, rather than work with again.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin L Kiesewetter

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »

My experience with church bands and groups/singers, is that they are by far the hardest to deal with.  Egos are huge in that business, and it is the one genre that should have the smallest egos.  Go figure.  Blessed are the meek?

What's the difference between a terrorist and a church musician?

You can negotiate with the terrorist.

;D

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 12:39:27 PM »

Lectern mic is at elbow height, and is a condenser in front of the mains.  Would be fun to manage... ;D
Just that Nathan's comment that they played too loudly and didn't listen made me think of countless poorly tuned drumsets with no damping (something that shouldn't be necessary with good tuning and playing) being banged on too hard in very live rooms and sounding like a mess.

There are some phenomenal musicians playing in churches.  I've had the pleasure of playing with some.  And the "everyone gets a chance" nature of some churches leads to some people that should be home practicing inflicting their "gift" on a community that has to grin and bear it.

David Allred

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 01:06:13 PM »

What's the difference between a terrorist and a church musician?

You can negotiate with the terrorist.

;D
How are they the same?

You kill one and 10 more will pop up and want their spot.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 02:46:45 PM »

And the "everyone gets a chance" nature of some churches leads to some people that should be home practicing inflicting their "gift" on a community that has to grin and bear it.

"Everyone gets a chance" turns into "three strikes and you're out"

"Three strikes and you're out" turns into "established musician"

"Established musician" turns into "worship leader"

"Worship leader" turns into "at least I don't have to get up in front of everybody every Sunday and make a fool of myself"

How is it that so often the people with skill and talent are too shy to share it, but the people who have little skill and no talent always seem to want to show off?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »

"Everyone gets a chance" turns into "three strikes and you're out"

"Three strikes and you're out" turns into "established musician"

"Established musician" turns into "worship leader"

"Worship leader" turns into "at least I don't have to get up in front of everybody every Sunday and make a fool of myself"

How is it that so often the people with skill and talent are too shy to share it, but the people who have little skill and no talent always seem to want to show off?

Some have a genuine willingness to serve, others have yet to disconnect ego from service.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.