ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Snare drum peaking subs  (Read 9845 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Snare drum peaking subs
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 10:48:28 PM »

The bypass switch does not mean there are no electronics in line. I expect the snare is clipping those input electronics. Use one of the aux outs from the console to drive the subs, only putting those instruments in the aux mix that make sense in the subs, kick, bass, keys, and use the full range feed that you are using now to just drive the full range system. No snare in the subs, no vocals, no guitar, no cymbals.

Mac

As Mac has suggested you are clipping the input with full range signal prior to the DSP.  Here is a link to the manual.  Look on page 11 for the block diagram of the sub.  http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/DOC_574.pdf

Lee
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:51:38 PM by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 11:30:57 PM »

As Mac has suggested you are clipping the input with full range signal prior to the DSP.  Here is a link to the manual.  Look on page 11 for the block diagram of the sub.  http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/DOC_574.pdf

Lee

See also "Input Panel" on p. 15 for proper input sensitivity settings.  The stock photo posted by the OP shows the input control fully clockwise (-10 dB setting) while the manual recommends starting with the control fully COUNTER-clockwise (+4 dB setting).

Hmmmmm...

PS...

It's likely that the snare drum hits are merely the "last straw" rather than the sole offender.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:15:05 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 06:37:07 AM »

See also "Input Panel" on p. 15 for proper input sensitivity settings.  The stock photo posted by the OP shows the input control fully clockwise (-10 dB setting) while the manual recommends starting with the control fully COUNTER-clockwise (+4 dB setting).

Hmmmmm...

PS...

It's likely that the snare drum hits are merely the "last straw" rather than the sole offender.

Yes, this is almost certainly a case of incorrect gain structure.  Given the signal path shown on the diagram the clipping indicated at the subs appears to be at the input to the sub rather than at the output of the amp.  The OP needs to go through his system and setup the gain structure properly. 
I would still, as Mac suggested, set up the subs as Aux fed so that I was only sending a few specific signals to the subs.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »

Hmmmmm...

PS...

I see this all the time - like on close ups of powered subs/ mids for sale on Craigslist. I am starting to think I'm one of only a few folks who at the end of the night, routinely goes to each cab and turns all the knobs counterclockwise before I switch them off........ I see it with amps too....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rich Orde

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »

The reason we keep the gain wide open is because the kick drum loses too much low end and I don't like to boost lows on the main EQ or on the channel because it gives the kick drum a "pocky" sound.

If I also cut the gain to the highs equally I end up compensating for the loss of volume by bumping up the master slider on the mixer, which it seems would result in the same peaking of the subs, would it not?

I do agree that the best solution is to restructure the outputs so only lows are being sent to the subs.  I don't own the sound system and currently only have access to it at gigs.  I am just using it as originally set up by the guy who does own it.  He has never had this problem because he tends to bury the snare drum in the mix when he mixes the band.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:18 AM »

I leave my gains wide open so the worst a meddler can do is turn it down.

Why change em at the end of the night? You are just gonna put em back next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 08:16:57 AM »

Use one of the aux outs from the console to drive the subs, only putting those instruments in the aux mix that make sense in the subs, kick, bass, keys, and use the full range feed that you are using now to just drive the full range system. No snare in the subs, no vocals, no guitar, no cymbals.

Mac

+100  This is how we have ran our systems for years.  It cleans up the low end and the high end.  We always use a Post Fader Aux to send to the sub, this way if you boost the Kick in the mix the sub is brought up in proportion to the Main L/R.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »

I leave my gains wide open so the worst a meddler can do is turn it down.

Why change em at the end of the night? You are just gonna put em back next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've always turned amps down before turning off- always have and it comes naturally. To me it's the same as closing a door behind you even though you're just gonna open it next time....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rich Orde

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 07:19:14 PM »

+100  This is how we have ran our systems for years.  It cleans up the low end and the high end.  We always use a Post Fader Aux to send to the sub, this way if you boost the Kick in the mix the sub is brought up in proportion to the Main L/R.

Bill
I can see sending a separate mix to the subs but for the tops, they don't have a built in crossover so the signal sent must have a high pass active on it from the mixer.  I will have to get my hands on the band's X32 during the week and toy around with it.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 07:38:35 PM »

I can see sending a separate mix to the subs but for the tops, they don't have a built in crossover so the signal sent must have a high pass active on it from the mixer.  I will have to get my hands on the band's X32 during the week and toy around with it.

Video tutorial...there may be more...

http://youtu.be/rtwW1l-FECg
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 07:38:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.