ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Response and impedance  (Read 4151 times)

Jacob Shaw

Response and impedance
« on: July 23, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »

What is the best way to measure the responce of a loaded bass bin, also is there a way to measure the actual excursion or impiedance at various frequencies?  I want to compare data from the real world results to modeling.  I just got a moth traveler, and I have a good fluke meter.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Response and impedance
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:18:50 PM »

What is the best way to measure the responce of a loaded bass bin, also is there a way to measure the actual excursion or impiedance at various frequencies?  I want to compare data from the real world results to modeling.  I just got a moth traveler, and I have a good fluke meter.
Jacob,

Frequency response can be measured with a dual FFT program like Smaart or the free REW. Best results are outdoors, well away from any buildings, bass response is generally tested with the mic on the ground at two or more meters from the front of the cabinet.

Excursion can be measured by eye, simply put a white dot on the cone and use sine waves and a ruler. Divide the two way travel by 2 to get the excursion at any given frequency. Make the sine wave tests quick to avoid burnout, best to have all the info typed up first.
Impedance can be tested with this:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-wt3-woofer-tester--390-804

You can also measure impedance using a resistor and a VOM, but it requires different calibrations for different frequencies, the process took so long I have not attempted it since.

Art

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »

Do you best-or cheapest or easiest or most accurate?

Those are often VERY different things with different results.

Just saying you ?measured something" does not mean that what/how you measured it is actually accurate.

Very often people "measure" things, and because they don't understand how to use the measurement system and therefore get inaccurate results.

There are two aspects when measuring something.  One is understand the system, and the other is to understand the measurement-no matter what the system.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »

in the the middle of a large backyard with no wind. and up off and away from the ground.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »

in the the middle of a large backyard with no wind. and up off and away from the ground.
And away from reflections.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:09:25 PM »

Yep, stay away from mirrors......
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jacob Shaw

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 07:16:59 AM »

I am fimilliar with mic placement, and I'm good at research.  I understand that there will be a learning curve.  What are some opinions of REW?  I do like freeware.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »

The results using REW look OK. If I were not already using and familiar with Smaart, I'd be using REW.
I will be using it eventually, as it has features not available in the version of Smaart I have now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.