ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub Suggestion  (Read 21062 times)

Kelly_Dodge

Re: Sub Suggestion
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:49:21 PM »

I think before you start making sawdust is to ask yourself, "Do I really need 4 KF850's"

Are those really what you need for the type of gigs you will be doing?

Could you sell them and get something that fits your needs better?

This is a valid point.

I think the group that is giving me the speakers (a church that I used to attend that is downsizing) would be a bit disappointed if I just sold them off. But by the time I got subs built, I doubt they would care anymore.

My guess is that I'd want the 850s maybe 2 - 4 times a year. The rest of the time I could get away with something smaller and easier. I am also open to the possibility that having them would open up more opportunities. That's part of why I'm asking the question. The idea of building 4 speakers sounds like a lot of work that would be kind of fun and cool and an excuse to hang out with a buddy. The idea of building 8 speakers sounds like too much work and expense for what I'd ever use them for, and makes this sound like a bad idea. And some of the other designs linked look somewhat simpler and easier. Maybe building 6 double 18's is the better answer...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:59 AM »

Maybe the better question is: are you prepared to move 4 KF850s and 4-6 2/18s and associated amplifier racks?

The drivers for the subs are going to be expensive.  I would rather have 4 cabs with 18-Sound or B&C drivers than 6 with mid range Eminence drivers in them.  More sound, less moving.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »

This is a valid point.

I think the group that is giving me the speakers (a church that I used to attend that is downsizing) would be a bit disappointed if I just sold them off. But by the time I got subs built, I doubt they would care anymore.

My guess is that I'd want the 850s maybe 2 - 4 times a year. The rest of the time I could get away with something smaller and easier. I am also open to the possibility that having them would open up more opportunities. That's part of why I'm asking the question. The idea of building 4 speakers sounds like a lot of work that would be kind of fun and cool and an excuse to hang out with a buddy. The idea of building 8 speakers sounds like too much work and expense for what I'd ever use them for, and makes this sound like a bad idea. And some of the other designs linked look somewhat simpler and easier. Maybe building 6 double 18's is the better answer...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Also remember that the 850 has a nominal coverage of 50° x 35°.  You will need 2x per side for most applications.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 07:11:19 PM »

The idea of building 4 speakers sounds like a lot of work that would be kind of fun and cool and an excuse to hang out with a buddy. The idea of building 8 speakers sounds like too much work and expense for what I'd ever use them for,

You could approach it like a production shop.  Make up a template for each piece of wood and use a router to transfer it to the multiple copies.  Then all you have is the glue and screw.  And things take shape quickly, which is fun.  It's laying out the same thing over and over and making all the cuts for piece after piece (especially with a complex box) that gets old fast.

Kelly_Dodge

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »

Maybe the better question is: are you prepared to move 4 KF850s and 4-6 2/18s and associated amplifier racks?

The drivers for the subs are going to be expensive.  I would rather have 4 cabs with 18-Sound or B&C drivers than 6 with mid range Eminence drivers in them.  More sound, less moving.

Isn't this kind of a good reason to go with Lab subs?

Peter Morris

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 05:49:47 AM »

Here is the frequency response of a single Labsub http://www.prosoundweb.com/lsp/response1.gif

In small numbers its not that efficient and not flat.  You are probably better with a good (new technology) double 18.  There have been significant improvements in driver design since Lab was designed in 2007 (?). New double 18's will make at least 4 dB more than what was around when the Lab was designed.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »

You are probably better with a good (new technology) double 18.  There have been significant improvements in driver design since Lab was designed in 2007 (?). New double 18's will make at least 4 dB more than what was around when the Lab was designed.
Peter,

The Lab Sub was designed in early 2002.
Some of the high power, long throw woofers designed since definitely do surpass the Lab 12, and are appropriate for use in horns, which can add 6 or more dB over bass reflex designs.

Art

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 02:53:01 PM »

If you are willing to build subs the size of labhorns, i would build Art's Keystone sub found on diyaudio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »

If you are willing to build subs the size of labhorns, i would build Art's Keystone sub found on diyaudio

Art is a crafty fellow with blood in the speaker game.  It looks like the Keystone is an easier build/harder to screw up than the LABhorn.  I have no reason to think it will not perform as Art shows it to work and it weighs less, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »

Art is a crafty fellow with blood in the speaker game.  It looks like the Keystone is an easier build/harder to screw up than the LABhorn.  I have no reason to think it will not perform as Art shows it to work and it weighs less, too.

Simply put, the Keystone kicks ass.

I have not heard the real deal (Danley TH118), but I can tell you that 2 Keystones (18TBW100 loaded) are about 4-6 dB than 2 SRX728s.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.