ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: My disappointing evening as an audience member last night  (Read 18549 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My disappointing evening as an audience member last night
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 03:41:44 PM »

I have been using backing tracks in one form or another for almost 30 years. Many years ago, we had a trio using drum backing on cassette tapes - we couldn't afford any other way to do it - even if midi was around then.
Over the years, we used sequencers for drums and keys replacing the technology as it became available till we got to DAW…..so I have used and enjoyed backing tracks for many years. 
Trust me - I am not against using backing tracks. What I hate though is when a band is completely reliant on them and without them could not function. Adding the odd keyboard part makes perfect sense to me because there isn't enough money in bar work to feed too many mouths and 3 and 4 piece bands can go out with a full sound without having to hire an extra musician.
Having said that - there is nothing better than listening to 4 or 5 guys who can play well and with confidence who do not NEED backing tracks to get to where they want to be musically.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John L Nobile

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 03:49:05 PM »

Economics has forced us to use trax. We went from a 7 piece band with me playing keyboards on stage to a trio with me mixing and playing back my parts from a computer. Then we went to just a guitar player, then we added a bass player and this year we got a drummer back.
Personally, I don't like to see a band with backing trax but I don't mind if it's in a show situation with dancers and performer/vocalists. Which is what we do.
A trio would sound very empty when you have a song that has a large arrangement. I'd love to have a full orchestra behind the performers but I feel fortunate just to have a trio. For that matter I feel even more lucky that we have a live full time show here.
I have no idea how musicians survive these days. It can't be form playing music.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 06:55:04 PM »

As an example of how important live music is to the pubs here, the landlord of the pub I have just been to once told me that he does 85% of his business in the two evenings when he has live music on.  He barely breaks even the rest of the time.

As well as having a high number of musicians here, we also have a lot of people who come out for live music.  I know that they wouldn't be as supportive of bands using backing tracks.

I can't even think of anyone here who does use backing tracks.  The last time I saw anyone doing it was in the late 1980s.

On the subject of Europe, Germans in particular seem to love live music.

Steve.

We have a similar thing here in Hastings, East Sussex.  Within 30 miles are Jeff Beck, Paul McCartney and Roger Daltery.  In the town I know players who have worked with Gerry Rafferty, Ginger Bakers Airforce, Paul Simon, Fela Kuti, Marvin Gaye, Joan Armatrading, Tina Turner, Grace Jones and many others.  Our problem tends to be that most of the bands, though of quite a good standard, don't play enough original material.  Although some players and writers here have had chart success, the last Hastings based "band" to have a record in the UK charts was back in the 70's who only reached about no 35!  Solo songwriters around here have done better.  I've also run into a few well known writers over the years whilst working locally, Rod Temperton, Roger Cook, Tony Macaulay.  Interesting place, musically. :)

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »

I want it live with all of its rough edges, accidental wrong notes and improvised parts with the band - audience interaction which can only happen when it is live. Perfection is over rated.

some our most entertaining performances include the wrong notes and improv.

also (usually at the private parties) when we let the often drunk, usually very off key, guests come up and sing with the band.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

duane massey

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »

I have worked all sides of the issue as a musician, and I can honestly say I could not perform regularly with tracks. I grudgingly play every weekend with a drum machine (trio w/ bass/keys/female singer), but we just use the machine as a time/groove keeper. We all sing and play a wide variety of genres, plus do a lot of requests that quite often we have never played before. It's not a polished show with dance moves and lights, but it's a steady gig in a restaurant where we are more wall-paper than a featured act.
There is no doubt that the big $$ for cover bands is not going to live bands but there are some good local/regional bands that sound quite good without tracks. You do what you have to....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jay Smith

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »

Matchmaker Band here in ATX is a pretty impressive lineup - it's amazing when a band can get such a full authentic sound, and with large soul and dance music numbers; they do of course have 10 people... but still quite a feat; very slick group

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 11:19:06 PM »

I have worked all sides of the issue as a musician, and I can honestly say I could not perform regularly with tracks. I grudgingly play every weekend with a drum machine (trio w/ bass/keys/female singer), but we just use the machine as a time/groove keeper. We all sing and play a wide variety of genres, plus do a lot of requests that quite often we have never played before. It's not a polished show with dance moves and lights, but it's a steady gig in a restaurant where we are more wall-paper than a featured act.
There is no doubt that the big $$ for cover bands is not going to live bands but there are some good local/regional bands that sound quite good without tracks. You do what you have to....

Not always the case. In the 60's I carried a 12 piece band because it took that many people to perform the music we played, which was soul, blues, Motown, etc.. As time passed, and after the Navy and my time in Vietnam, I continued to work that genre, however, I was unable to find and keep together a band with enough quality players to cover the genre. My move was to more Clapton, Allman Brothers, Stones where guitar was the dominant instrument. So drums, bass , guitars, keys was the way of the world for me.

As time passed and times changed where backline fill was accepted, I started working with sound modules and quality MIDI files. From those files and the backline fill I was able to bring back my beloved horn sections, B3, etc, while all the time working with some of the same players I worked with over 50 years ago. Working with a back track required a huge effort from the players, and precision is the key word. If you're not tight, it ain't right, end of subject.

The other hurdle you also need to overcome is the quality and reproduction of the sampled instrumentation. And although there are many methods which can be used to reproduce the instruments, good samples from a high quality sound module, combined with high quality and licensed MIDI files are the only way to go. Combine that with $40K of sound system just for the backline fill, and you might be able to do the job right. This is the primary reason for my running a dual system.

I've heard 100's of bands attempt to provide fills using MIDI tracks, recordings, etc., and have yet to hear another band do it right. Of course I've been using a backline fill for over 25 years, worked through all the problems, had advice from "A" touring pros, and work my own MIDI files, often putting over 50-100 hours into choosing the right instruments and tuning the file for live performance. That's why my band can provide an experience that's as far from "scaryoke" as can be. That's also why I work only on request, pick and choose the venue's I work and still bring in $1000 - $2000 per 3.5hr gig. And add that to the other bands that pay me to do their sound, if I feel like it. It's good to be the king, but it's been a long road paved with lot's of dollars to get there.

And Steve, when it's done right there's as much imrov and interaction as I ever had with any band I've worked with and still work with on occasions.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:21:12 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rick Powell

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 12:43:32 AM »

Sometimes variable dictate. I would use backing keyboard tracks because I can't find a keyboard player who isn't playing in 3 different bands and has no time or desire to learn strict arrangements. If the parts need to be there, options kick in. I see so many poorly executed and/or bad sounding live acts that any improvement would be welcome.

My first acquaintance with backing tracks was seeing the Who's Who By Numbers tour and having Keith Moon put on headphones for the taped keyboard cues of "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Baba O'Riley".  I can't ever recall the band being criticized for this...I am sure that Quadrophenia had a few bits of backing tracks when brought out live.  I have seen other bands do it, with varying degrees of success.  On a Foreigner show in the mid-90's, I thought it to be too much when there were several vocal parts coming out and only two guys on the mic, but otherwise the musicianship was fabulous. 

Our band uses backing keyboards sparingly, and it would not be a good use of our time to hire a keyboardist to play on a third of our songs at most.  These are parts I could play in my sleep, but I can only play so many things at once, LOL.  I refuse to use backing vocal tracks; with the keyboards, it's just a way of me playing the part that I would be playing if I were a FT keyboardist and being efficient and sparing in the use, but with vocals, if you can sing the part in the studio or at rehearsal, you ought to be able to sing it live on the mic. 

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 02:49:46 AM »

It wasn't my intention to insult any of you who do use backing tracks and I apologise if I have done that.

It was just my personal preference, possibly from experiencing some very bad backing tracks a long time ago. It has always seemed to be someone taking the easy way out.

And Bob, from your posts here, I can tell that you are the sort of person who will put in a lot of effort to make sure your tracks are good rather than just use whatever is available like some I have come across.

Perhaps I was a bit hasty in condemning them all!

Steve.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 05:37:04 AM »

It wasn't my intention to insult any of you who do use backing tracks and I apologise if I have done that.

It was just my personal preference, possibly from experiencing some very bad backing tracks a long time ago. It has always seemed to be someone taking the easy way out.

And Bob, from your posts here, I can tell that you are the sort of person who will put in a lot of effort to make sure your tracks are good rather than just use whatever is available like some I have come across.

Perhaps I was a bit hasty in condemning them all!

Steve.

I don't think that you came across as insulting at all, but it's an interesting discussion of the "state of play" in local music.  I don't knock people for playing to backing tracks, glorified Karaoke it may be, but a bar with 50 people in isn't making enough money to pay anything more than a duo.  Either they stick to purely duo stuff or their own acoustic versions, or fill it out.  I think the variations of this are extreme from dire, to very good.  Whether, like Debbie, we want to choose to listen to it is a matter of personal choice, and it's a fair bet that those hanging around in this forum are likely to be far more critical than your average "joe" in a bar.  I suspect that the music scene in the US is quite different too the UK market, but that probably has a lot to do with the sheer scale of the USA.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 05:37:04 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.