ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: smaart 7  (Read 6366 times)

Bob Kidd

smaart 7
« on: July 18, 2015, 05:26:25 PM »

Just recently completed an excellent smaart training class, but not sure if actually purchasing software is worth cost. I do however get a discount which is great. I run house sound at local club and some private gigs and took class to get a better understanding on time/phase, delay when it comes to system tuning. I have a system that stays primarily in this one place and look to tune using smaart. In my situation is it worth the investment or is their a more efficient alternative? If working with program continues to help expand over knowledge and ability to apply it I'm all for it. Thanks!

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: smaart 7
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »

I took the class as well. Seems like the point of learning it is using it to me! I bought it.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »

I took the class as well. Seems like the point of learning it is using it to me! I bought it.

Thanks Sam!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:55:48 AM »

Same here.
It's s bit of a bite to the wallet but worth it.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 11:33:36 AM »

I have taken 2 Smaart classes over the years -one back at the EAW factory version 3.something, and one when Smaart 5 was out.  (as well as lots of other classes).

Yes it may seem expensive-but you will gain a lot more knowledge than just how to get around on the platform.

There is usually a lot of good "audio stuff", that gives you a much better understanding of what is going on.

Of course-as with most classes-the more you know going in-the more you are going to get out of it.

I would play around and watch the videos a good bit before going to class.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »

I took a class with Jamie  Anderson a few years back. I thought I understood phase before the class, but it really opens your eyes to a new way of thinking. For me it was kind of like drinking from a fire hose...it was a lot to absorb in 3 days. While I did gain a good understanding of the program and what you can (and more importantly, CAN'T) do with it, I plan to attend another class soon as a refresher now that I sort of know what I'm doing.

As for purchasing or not, if you're only going to use it to align one system you could save some money with SMAART DI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Kidd

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 12:32:06 PM »

Hi,

I already took class and thought it to be well worth it. Hope to take more like it. Smaart DI sounds like it maybe exactly what would work. Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:36:03 PM by Bob Kidd »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »

I took a class with Jamie  Anderson a few years back. I thought I understood phase before the class, but it really opens your eyes to a new way of thinking. For me it was kind of like drinking from a fire hose...it was a lot to absorb in 3 days. While I did gain a good understanding of the program and what you can (and more importantly, CAN'T) do with it, I plan to attend another class soon as a refresher now that I sort of know what I'm doing.

As for purchasing or not, if you're only going to use it to align one system you could save some money with SMAART DI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The whole "can't fix" is one of the biggest things for people to get their heads around.

Yeah-it may be showing up, but you cannot fix it, so simply just ignore it and move on.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 01:43:57 PM »

Bob,
After the class, I sprung for the SW, an Octacapture, and some calibrated Dayton mics from Cross Spectrum.

I also have the Studio Six apps for an iDevice.  There are actual SMAART functions (licensed from Rational Acoustics) and some tidbits of their own.  For me, half the point of the SMAART class was to understand the theories of the measurement process, and understanding the graph data to apply to the StudioSix applications.  Learning the "which button does what in Smaart" parts of the class were purely secondary.

I've found the StudioSix apps to be quite good, and are incredibly portable, running on either my iPad and iPod.  The nice part is the pricing structure is modular - buy the pieces you need as you need them. They have some accessories such as calibrated mics that bypass the internal electronics and filters in the analog audio chain of iDevices.  They also have transfer function (the module I've yet to purchase).

It may be a better fit, yet give you most of the tools necessary to achieve your goals.

frank

Bob Kidd

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

Bob,
After the class, I sprung for the SW, an Octacapture, and some calibrated Dayton mics from Cross Spectrum.

I also have the Studio Six apps for an iDevice.  There are actual SMAART functions (licensed from Rational Acoustics) and some tidbits of their own.  For me, half the point of the SMAART class was to understand the theories of the measurement process, and understanding the graph data to apply to the StudioSix applications.  Learning the "which button does what in Smaart" parts of the class were purely secondary.

I've found the StudioSix apps to be quite good, and are incredibly portable, running on either my iPad and iPod.  The nice part is the pricing structure is modular - buy the pieces you need as you need them. They have some accessories such as calibrated mics that bypass the internal electronics and filters in the analog audio chain of iDevices.  They also have transfer function (the module I've yet to purchase).

It may be a better fit, yet give you most of the tools necessary to achieve your goals.

frank

Thanks Frank, I actually have their app on iPad. Haven't purchased the smaart tool offered by them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.