ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Overseas Power Board  (Read 11583 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Overseas Power Board
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 07:47:26 AM »

I believe you mean the longer earth pin
Thanks.  Corrected now.

The picture illustrates a shuttered socket with the shutters opened by means of the earth pin.  A mechanism that can be defeated by using a screwdriver to get your test prods in the live and neutral holes
I worked that out by the time I was about nine or ten.  I had a few pieces of equipment which didn't have plugs on.  The first version of the 13A plug didn't have the plastic sleeves.  With a plug with all brass pins it was possible to hold the wires at the live and neutral positions and push a plug in which would connect to the wires... apparently!

Steve.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »

In the UK we don't use metric as much as you think we do.

A misconception fostered by our northern neighbors use of the metric system on their highways.  But you don't claim them anymore do you?

I just find it interesting that the same people that encourage the metric system because of its ties to the the decimal system give us a 63 amp 230 volt feeder to apply the 1/8 power rule of thumb to to power amps, where as over here an equivalent feeder is 50 amps at 240 volts-you can figure that one before Mike even finds the power button on his calculator. :)
Steve Swaffer

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »

Since we just adopted our first child (an infant girl), I have identified some commercial grade tamper-resistant receptacles I plan to order and install.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YK6HSQ

The REAL reason you like those in particular is the first review shown!
Steve Swaffer

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 11:34:11 AM »

I just find it interesting that the same people that encourage the metric system because of its ties to the the decimal system give us a 63 amp...
I have no idea where the 63 comes from.  Equally, I have often wondered why valve (tube) heaters are 6.3v.

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »

I have no idea where the 63 comes from.  Equally, I have often wondered why valve (tube) heaters are 6.3v.

Steve.

Something to do with batteries.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 01:15:40 PM »

Cause it's half of the center-tapped 12.6 volt heater in a 12AX7. And I didn't even need to power up my calculator to figure that one out. ;D

Mike Sokol

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »

And don't get me started on AC Frequencies. One of my power station buddies tells me there's still some active 25 Hz AC power for train tracks. And note that in 1918 London had 10 different frequencies in use.

In the early days of electrification, so many frequencies were used that no one value prevailed (London in 1918 had 10 different frequencies). As the 20th century continued, more power was produced at 60 Hz (North America) or 50 Hz (Europe and most of Asia). Standardization allowed international trade in electrical equipment. Much later, the use of standard frequencies allowed interconnection of power grids. It wasn't until after World War II with the advent of affordable electrical consumer goods that more uniform standards were enacted.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:31:52 PM by Mike Sokol »

Tom Duffy

• TASCAM
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »

Since we just adopted our first child (an infant girl), I have identified some commercial grade tamper-resistant receptacles I plan to order and install.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YK6HSQ

"Hard-use" is how hard, seems like a bit of overkill. Here it is on the Legrand website, wasn't immediately obvious.
https://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/receptacles/fed-spec-grade/hard-use-tamper-resistant/tr5262w.aspx#res

Not sure what the "CP6" at the end refers to.   Note the "upside down" picture though - does legrand endorse the somewhat common practice of putting the ground on top so if the cover plate (which is usually metal in hard-use areas) comes loose and falls off it makes contact with the plug's pin in ground first?
There's no picture of the back:
Residential duplex sockets usually have the ground screw at the bottom, so if this socket has the ground screw at the top, the wiring behind the socket might need some extra twists.   Older houses have very small and crowded workboxes behind the duplex.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »

The REAL reason you like those in particular is the first review shown!

Haha, I didn't even look at the review until you mentioned it.

Methinks the reviewer probably had a loose connection, and installing a new receptacle fixed the issue. I'll bet he's a customer of some other sites lampooned in these fora.

Wait... what was the original topic about? This thread seems to have swerved more than a highway in the Alps.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »

Please make me STOP.  :o

41-2/3 and 45-1/3 Hz.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.