ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: dj sub system questions  (Read 18309 times)

bren collins

dj sub system questions
« on: July 14, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »

i have 4 jbl stx828 subs each powered by a crown xti 4002 amp bridged..... i have a 2500 person gig coming up do you think these subs will safice???? i have 4peavey sp218 cabs but would prefer to just use the jbls what do you guys think i should do????

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: dj sub system questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »

Hi Bren; welcome.  In order for anybody to offer anything more than uneducated speculation, we'll need more details.  Is your gig indoors or outdoors?  What are the measurements of the space your audience will be in?  What kind of music?  What kind of event?  What is your target SPL at what location?  Depending on your answers, you might have enough subs, or you might not.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

bren collins

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 08:58:37 PM »

its a outdoor event.... around the 2000 people number, new style dj music such as jason derulo etc... its for a marathon run and its the after party its a dance/glow party theme. im wanting 110 db at 1 m away....

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:33:04 PM »

1 m = meter or miles?  Cause if you mean miles you might need more speakers.  You are looking a at needing about 166 DB in output at one meter. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bren collins

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:24 PM »

i meant miles but i would be ok with 100 db at a mile how many more subs would i need to reach the 100 db at a mile????? thanks for all the help

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:43:33 PM »

i meant miles but i would be ok with 100 db at a mile how many more subs would i need to reach the 100 db at a mile????? thanks for all the help

To get 110dB/SPL at 1 mile you would need 175 dB/SPL@3'.  This also means that no one could be very close to the actual subwoofer location without causing them physical problems.

Just running quick numbers in my head you would need 128 subs like yours running at 130 dB/SPL each to get you around 170dB/SPL.  Give or take, factoring power compression, etc.  Yes, your subs have a peak capability of 138 dab/SPL.  This would be a constant 132 and then you also get power compression, some (probably minimal) music crest factor, etc.

I don't think that this SPL level is really what you want to try to target.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
dj sub system questions
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:09:19 PM »

Are you aware of how long a mile actually is? Are you doing this gig in the wilderness? Even if you COULD hit 100db at a mile away, you'd be at 94db at 2 miles, and 88db at 4 miles. The neighbors might complain. Not to mention a single file line of 2500 people would barely reach a mile. 2500 people gathered at a stage will fill a couple hundred feet deep.

You don't have enough subs, or experience, to cover a 2500 person gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bren collins

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »

ok ive been in sound for quite sometime but i never really do spl or any of that im not tech handy and im very old school i own no digital processors and im just recently changing to jbl.... i dont fully understand what is being asked they way i always go about things is how many people around 2000-2500 requirements of gig and type of music..... never really go by dbs or spl level i just typically know what i need but since ive jsut recently switched to jblstx828s i dont know if 4 of them can do the job i used to use 8 peavey sp218 for around 3000 people.... but im assuming these jbls can do more with less speakers am i correct

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:44:48 PM »

ok ive been in sound for quite sometime but i never really do spl or any of that im not tech handy and im very old school i own no digital processors and im just recently changing to jbl.... i dont fully understand what is being asked they way i always go about things is how many people around 2000-2500 requirements of gig and type of music..... never really go by dbs or spl level i just typically know what i need but since ive jsut recently switched to jblstx828s i dont know if 4 of them can do the job i used to use 8 peavey sp218 for around 3000 people.... but im assuming these jbls can do more with less speakers am i correct?

No, I think not.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

bren collins

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:09 AM »

so what truly have i gained by going from peavey to jbl? besides people seeing me as more reputable.... which is  a great thing i was just expecting 4 jbl stx828s to out compete at least 6 peavey sp218 cabs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:09 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.