ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Identifying your own cables  (Read 17945 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Identifying your own cables
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 06:08:12 PM »

...but is there a way to put shrink wrap on a cable without having the remove the ends on it?

Nope. (Although you only need to remove one end, not both.) That's why it is easiest to do this when your cables are being assembled- whether you do it yourself, or you buy cables from a supplier that can include these pieces of heatshrink on the cable for you.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »

Nope. (Although you only need to remove one end, not both.) That's why it is easiest to do this when your cables are being assembled- whether you do it yourself, or you buy cables from a supplier that can include these pieces of heatshrink on the cable for you.

-Ray

And only put the label on the male end so you don't have the ugly label at the mic.

Mac

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »

I use reflective tape, the type that shines brightly when hit with a light. One small strip is all you need, and at the end of the night hit the cables with a flashlight, which works even better if someone has put your cables into their case.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 07:39:28 PM »

I have colored heat shrink on all of my cables. Each color is designated to a certain length cable. Helps me reduce stage clutter and keep track of what each cable run is. No one else seems to have the same blank heat shrink scheme so it's easy to tell them apart from others.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »

there are companies that print your name (or whatever) onthe velcro ties that are attached to the cables.

I have asked a friend to create some sand blast stencils for me. havent tried it yet so I may need to post back some time in the future if I ever get them.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »

My initials with white paint marker

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »

Wow, a lot of great suggestions here. I do really like the idea of shrink wrap with company info printed on it. That seems like the most legit and clean looking, but is there a way to put shrink wrap on a cable without having the remove the ends on it?

Also nail polish on the connectors sounds like a excellent subtle way to label the cables. How long does this last, do you have to constantly re-apply to keep them from scratching off?

Neutrik connectors last longest because the color gets in the grooves of the strain relief. Switchcraft and smooth metal adapters need touching up once in a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 10:25:43 PM »

there are companies that print your name (or whatever) onthe velcro ties that are attached to the cables.

I have asked a friend to create some sand blast stencils for me. havent tried it yet so I may need to post back some time in the future if I ever get them.

I am told that if you have a business account with monoprice they will do this for velco ties.  I haven't actually seen it though.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Rob Gow

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »

Heat shrink. I use blue for my XLR & Red for DMX, male end.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 12:00:30 PM »

I use heat shrink over a colored weatherproof avery label underneath. Each cable is serialized with my company name and manufacture date. The color of the label underneath indicates the length of the cable.

Having the cables serialized makes it extremely convenient when you need to trace down a cable in a bunch.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:05:12 PM by Brian Jojade »
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 12:00:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.