ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Identifying your own cables  (Read 13458 times)

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
Re: Identifying your own cables
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 05:10:41 pm »

If you must use colored electrical tape, use 3M brand (the good stuff!).  At the other end of the spectrum, Markertek offers custom engraving on the connectors.

http://www.markertek.com/Custom.asp

edit: spellin'
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:51:07 am by Cosmo »
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound, Harrisburg, PA
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 08:11:53 pm »

Yikes, shredded hands I see.

Oh, please. We're not THAT careless.
Member since 2005.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 12:13:29 pm »

Oh, please. We're not THAT careless.

Sorry, but I cringe at tie wrap cut ends on cables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Daniel Levi

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 03:36:31 pm »

Sommer cable can do custom writing on the cable jacket if required (although at an extra fees and probably only for larger orders)

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 07:57:33 pm »

I place brightly colored nylon cable/zip ties at the business end of all cables.
That might make it easier to identify suspects. Just look for bloody hands :)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 08:07:50 pm »

Sorry, but I cringe at tie wrap cut ends on cables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you use the Panduit tie wrap gun, it leaves a flush edge.  I use one all on the tie wraps I do inside of racks for that very reason.  I have to turn it to the lowest setting to avoid pinching the cables.  But they are worth their weight in gold, or cut hands as the case may be.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 09:54:13 pm »

When I was first getting into sound around high school, I started "branding" my cables (or more specifically the ends) with hot leather lettering stamps.  It was unique and impossible to remove without messing up the cable in the process.  It didn't stop them from going missing completely, but reduced the amount that it happened.  What's funny is I ran into one of my cables from almost thirty years ago when I was helping out a friends kid with his band a couple of months ago! 

I'm a pretty anal cable counter these days and rarely if ever have a cable go missing.  If I were to start a new cable pack for a project today, I would have the cable printed with my logo and contact info on it.  I've also thought of getting a glow in the dark shrink wrap (with logo) made the would light up brightly when hit by a UV laser or light, making it easy to find in a pile of cables in the dark.
This space for rent

Brian O'Shaughnessy

• Vitamin C Entertainment
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 10:42:45 am »

So much good information!

Gordon, I have thought about the idea of unique zip ties to help identify, I think they would be durable and easy to spot, but my only pause is wanting something a bit more intentional looking. Zip ties on a cable could seem almost like it was just never removed from the packaging..? Stephen mentioned zip ties that don't have an edge to them which sounds really interesting!

Stephen Kirby, I like the idea of having zip ties with a flush edge. So the tool your mentioning allows you to do that?

Lee Douglas, I like the idea of having cables "burned" with a brand, it seems as though it would be discrete as well as clean looking. But the glow in the dark tape seem brilliant, just use a UV light to scan around the stage to see if anything pops up. Often we will sometimes have to load out and the house lighting will be really dim, so anything to help with spotting forgotten cables could be an excellent option.

Right now if I could find UV sensitive zip ties that are flush and don't have an edge that sounds like it could be a perfect solution for me!
Vitamin C Entertainment
http://vcentertain.com

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound, Harrisburg, PA
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 11:44:54 am »

...Stephen mentioned zip ties that don't have an edge to them which sounds really interesting!...

Yeah, I don't know why these guys are crying about cut hands. My cutters are sharp. I trim the zip ties while on a work bench, straight and clean, with no pointy edges sticking up. In fact, I kind of recall feeling many of them immediately after cutting just to see if they'd felt burred. It's nothing that a quickie swipe with a fine metal file couldn't smooth over anyway.

I usually fasten them right up against the back side of the fittings where they tend to stay out of the way of sliding hands.  When wrapping up cables, I rarely slide my hands all the way to the ends. I don't think I've even gotten a cut or scratch from one.

Oh well. It works for me. I'm happy.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:55:18 am by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 07:20:36 pm »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 07:20:36 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.