ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Racking Powersoft K2 and K3 amps  (Read 3687 times)

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
Racking Powersoft K2 and K3 amps
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »

Hey everyone,

When you rack Powersoft amps, do you put a space between them for possible thermal issues ?

I want to got from my 20 space amp rack full of QSC amps, down to FOUR Powersoft amps and DR260 and backup that I can fit in a 6 space rack ???

Any experience is welcomed with this downsizing move

BTW, I got QSC RMX 5050 amps for sale and a 20 space amp rack -ha

Thanks again,

Patrick

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Racking Powersoft K2 and K3 amps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:26:48 PM »

Hey everyone,

When you rack Powersoft amps, do you put a space between them for possible thermal issues ?

I want to got from my 20 space amp rack full of QSC amps, down to FOUR Powersoft amps and DR260 and backup that I can fit in a 6 space rack ???

Thanks again,

Patrick

I've seen them done both ways, but I've never heard of a problem with them while tightly spaced. I'd say go for it and just be sure that the rack can breathe.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »

I've seen them done both ways, but I've never heard of a problem with them while tightly spaced. I'd say go for it and just be sure that the rack can breathe.
As long as there's PLENTY of front to back airpath then you have no need for gaps in the racks between amps. I suspect the newer ones will run even cooler than the older versions, the biggest issue I've seen is a 1or2u patch panel mounted on the back can easily restrict the air flow enough to have the amps fans running harder than usual. I also have to say i've never seen one thermal out either even under serious abuse. G

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »

Hey everyone,

Thanks again,

Patrick

I routinely see 8-12 in a single rack with no spaces.  Higher quantities than that I usually see them in groups by application (subs, LF, MF, HF) or with small spaces between them in large amp rack rooms.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:22:59 AM »

I routinely see 8-12 in a single rack with no spaces.  Higher quantities than that I usually see them in groups by application (subs, LF, MF, HF) or with small spaces between them in large amp rack rooms.

Lee

Ran my Powersofts all weekend in 97 degree heat for 15 hours each at 2 OHMS on Subs and not even a hiccup

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:02 PM »

As long as there's PLENTY of front to back airpath then you have no need for gaps in the racks between amps. I suspect the newer ones will run even cooler than the older versions, the biggest issue I've seen is a 1or2u patch panel mounted on the back can easily restrict the air flow enough to have the amps fans running harder than usual. I also have to say i've never seen one thermal out either even under serious abuse. G

IIRC Powersoft recommends no space between amps.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.