ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: smaart I-O  (Read 9318 times)

Bob Kidd

smaart I-O
« on: July 12, 2015, 09:24:15 PM »

Looking at using smaart 7 to tune system and was hoping for a cheaper alternative to rationals smaart I-O or octa-capture. Would be using single mic.  Is there something you can recommended that would work?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:42:11 PM by Bob Kidd »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: smaart I-O
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:30:37 PM »

Looking at using smaart 7 to tune system and was hoping for a cheaper alternative to rationals smaart I-O or octa-capture. Would be using single mic.  Is there something you can recommended that would work?
As much as I hate to admit it, the Behringer UMC202 works very well-no software-just plug it in and go.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Kidd

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »

As much as I hate to admit it, the Behringer UMC202 works very well-no software-just plug it in and go.

Thanks, did see Mackie onyx but this maybe great option and I run M32 so pre's are a plus.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 10:46:40 PM »

I was looking into the Behringer unit based off your previous review....but the other reviews from Amazon are a real turn off....
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UMC202-Audio-Interface/product-reviews/B00EK1OUA6
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:38:17 AM »

I was looking into the Behringer unit based off your previous review....but the other reviews from Amazon are a real turn off....
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UMC202-Audio-Interface/product-reviews/B00EK1OUA6
All I can say is that it works fine for me-no software hassles and does what I need it to do.

I got one (figuring I could just throw it away if it wasn't any good) after 2 of my sound devices USB pres died.

I still use my MOTU 8pre for mutli measurements, but the UMC202 is much smaller and travels easier and sits on my desk not taking up room.

Of course some people have problems with everything-so they take issue and get vocal about things that are actually not the products fault.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Thomas Le

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:39:03 AM »

Steinberg UR22 works good for me.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 07:53:15 AM »

All I can say is that it works fine for me-no software hassles and does what I need it to do.

I got one (figuring I could just throw it away if it wasn't any good) after 2 of my sound devices USB pres died.

I still use my MOTU 8pre for mutli measurements, but the UMC202 is much smaller and travels easier and sits on my desk not taking up room.

Of course some people have problems with everything-so they take issue and get vocal about things that are actually not the products fault.
I just bought the UMC404 and it works just fine.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 10:42:28 AM »

I just bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, works brilliantly.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 12:19:18 PM »

Just bought the ART USBDualPre, on bench testing (headphones for acoustic, dual iso transformer for lines) it worked great, just needed ASIO4all drivers. Probably going to build/buy a pair of 20db pads for the XLR inputs though.

Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Chris Nixon

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »

I use a Roland Duo Capture EX, it appears to be the unit Behringer ripped off this time... I thought they said they'd stopped that sort of thing...

I've had no issues with it, aside from confusing myself when I didn't check the direct monitor switches on the back, I've gaffed over everything but the 48V since.

It's nice and solidly built, runs off USB power and isn't any bigger than it needs to be.

:Edited to correct name of interface:

Chris
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:18:47 PM by Chris Nixon »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »

I use a Roland Duo Capture, it appears to be the unit Behringer ripped off this time... I thought they said they'd stopped that sort of thing...

In no way am I defending Behringer-I totally understand the history of Behringer copies (starting with the Mackie boards back in the 90s).

But you claim Behringer ripped off the Roland unit.

The 2 don't look ANYTHING alike-not even close. It is like saying a VW beetle looks like a Lamborghini so something

Yes they both have 4 wheels and an engine :) ---------------------------

I am just trying to understand where you are coming from on this statement.

Maybe I am missing something.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Nixon

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »

The 2 don't look ANYTHING alike-not even close.

You're right,  :) the one I have is actually the "Duo Capture EX".

Chris

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 06:05:18 PM »

That's what I use with no issues. Under $100, hard to beat.

*disclaimer, I am a Behringer dealer as well*

Bob Kidd

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 10:58:18 PM »

Please forgive me if this is way off. I have a Mackie pro 8 with USB. I ran it to laptop and smaart sees it but shows left and right on input options. Regardless what I route through Mackie it comes through as one input. Does not show the separate pres. Thanks

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
smaart I-O
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 08:54:18 PM »

I just bought a used octa-capture myself. Was seriously considering a focusrite Scarlett 18i8 or 6i6, just couldn't resist recallable pres on the octa-capture, though I really don't need them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:57:20 PM by Samuel Rees »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »

I just bought a used octa-capture myself. Was seriously considering a focusrite Scarlett 18i8 or 6i6, just couldn't resist recallable pres on the octa-capture, though I really don't need them.

I picked up the octa-capture a year or two back.   The digital gain on the pres were the selling point for me as well.   Now if I could find a smaller 2in-2out with the same digital gain setup for under $200, that would be great!  The octa is just a little hefty.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
smaart I-O
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 09:57:50 PM »

You might be able to pull off a used focusrite forte or avid/apogee duo for close to that. But options are thin for sure! I wanted to use 2-3 measurement mics plus loop back so that requires 3+. Otherwise I would have looked for a used Forte. Specs are better than everything I've seen in its class.

ProSoundWeb Community

smaart I-O
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 09:57:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 23 queries.