ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended dual driver buds as back-ups  (Read 5514 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Recommended dual driver buds as back-ups
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »

I have
Be careful of the one in-one out bit.  A custom molded plug cuts maybe 30dB from the mid range through HF, much less in the low end.  Push in things cut less.  So your open ear is exposed to e.g. 95 dB.  The closed ear is getting 70+.  In order to hear "more me" over the open ear your going for >3 dB over ambient, which in this case is the open ear at 95  Now you're shoving a mix at ~100 dB into your ear or even more if you want to hear yourself clearly.  Often to overcome the noise floor in the plugged ear and the open ear, it takes pretty serious levels.  Not good for the old ears.

Get an ER10 or 15 plug for the "open" ear, or an Earasers plug ($40/pair) so you can hear the mix clearly but at an attenuated level.  Then the one with the IEM doesn't have to break things for you to hear it.
Good point Stephen. I own a pair of ER20's which I use once in a while and I had already planned using one side when the ear phone is in the other ear. At this point I do not need hearing problems.... So far I have avoided anything nasty....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »

The AT's arrived mid week. Well made, I like the detachable cords. 
I tried the one pair I bought for me and really like them. I do not usually get to experience the iem 'thang' so not a lot to compare them to other than over ears. I am amazed at the bass response. Chris's experience was not as good as he couldn't get isolation with the tips supplied. The foam ones that were supplied with his Westone's work great for him and he has never felt the need to get custom tips but these were not big enough.
So I went ahead and ordered a pack of large size foam Comply tips that are compatible with the AT's and they came today. What a difference they made to him. He really likes the AT's and said they come very close to the Westones in sound and quality. A little less bass and not such good isolation but for 1/3rd of the price, he is very happy - thanks again to those who recommended the AT's. I would certainly recommend them to anyone on a tight budget or for back-ups to more expensive ones.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »

I'm not seeing them on the Audio-Technica website for US and Canada. Are they a discontinued product?
Member since 2005.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »

I'm not seeing them on the Audio-Technica website for US and Canada. Are they a discontinued product?

http://www.audio-technica.com.sg/products/headphones/professional/in-ear-monitor/ath-im70

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 10:00:45 AM »

The only place I could find them in Canada was on Amazon.ca

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »

I got mine from Amazon. Paid $95

John Chiara

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 12:36:58 PM »

Go to Ebay...only sold in Japan.

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »

I have both the 70's and the 50's. Not areal noticeable difference...except in price!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »

I have both the 70's and the 50's. Not areal noticeable difference...except in price!

I read some in depth reviews on both and felt that the 70's would be the best bet. Having not heard the 50's though, I could have spent too much!! ;)

John Chiara

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 12:07:30 AM »

I read some in depth reviews on both and felt that the 70's would be the best bet. Having not heard the 50's though, I could have spent too much!! ;)

I bought the 70's myself. Loved them so got a set of the 50's as well. For live performance, basically interchangeable IMO. I mixed some high profile live streaming shows with the 50's and was very satisfied with the results. I find the mid range clarity gives effects a bit more presence than normal headphones even, which let me hear and mix effects in a live room without overdoing the levels in the resulting mix. Very happy overall....for $54!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 12:07:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.