ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New (old) Distro  (Read 5097 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
New (old) Distro
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »

Called a Bryant heater control #466  It has a nice input with strain relief, a switch (DPST) and two outputs.  One is two parallel blades and the other is a Edison socket  they are wired in parallel.

And, it is UL approved.

For looking At only.  Not for use. We are trained professionals, don't try this at home, or work or camp.

Not to Code

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: New (old) Distro
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:53:13 PM »

New old stock, Frank?  Looks very nice indeed.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »

New old stock, Frank?  Looks very nice indeed.

Yes,  NOS amazes me.  I just bought a NOS Edison screw base plug for a cord that will fit this both must be from the early 20s  Where have they been all this time?

Frank
Not to Code

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:44:42 PM »

Very cool.  I don't see a problem with running power to it with a small lamp.  In many ways it looks safer than some of the modern plastic spring clip back wire devices we have now.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:58:05 PM »

Very cool.  I don't see a problem with running power to it with a small lamp.  In many ways it looks safer than some of the modern plastic spring clip back wire devices we have now.

Very true.  I am sure I can melt most wiring devices with a 800 deg  soldering iron-the porcelain would melt somewhere around 2500 deg F apparently.  I am guessing that it would rare to melt it down generating noxious fumes.

The DPST switch ensures that the shell of the edison socket will be de-energized regardless of wiring polarity.

Obviously stored in a dry,protected place.

Certainly doesn't meet current code-but it might actually be safer! 
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 04:20:40 PM »

Certainly doesn't meet current code-but it might actually be safer!

Why not? It's really no different than a table lamp with a convenience receptacle.

The only quibble I see is the form factor of the receptacle: the double-T slots are obsolete.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »

The only quibble I see is the form factor of the receptacle: the double-T slots are obsolete.

But that allows using old Hubbell plugs with the two blades in line 
Not to Code

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »

Called a Bryant heater control #466  It has a nice input with strain relief, a switch (DPST) and two outputs.  One is two parallel blades and the other is a Edison socket  they are wired in parallel.
Are you sure they're ONLY in parallel? Does one switch position throw them into series? I've seen vintage gear that put accessories in series or parallel to reduce the power. For instance, IIRC Model T cars had a series parallel switch for the two headlights since these was no voltage regulator on the generator. You would flip the headlights into parallel mode with slow engine speed to brighten up the lights, but needed to put them in series mode when the engine RPM was high, lest you burn out the headlights from too much voltage. Of course, this was before a lead-acid battery was on board since there was no electric starter.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »

Why not? It's really no different than a table lamp with a convenience receptacle.

Actually, unless there are dimensional issues, the double to would allow NEMA 1-15, 1-20 , 2-15 and 2-20 all to plug in.  Since the  1- are 125 VAC and the 2- are 250 VAC you have a code violation since different voltages cannot use interchangeable configurations.

But that  is just a technicality as the usefulness of this device is exactly Frank's purpose-a historical curiosity.

Wouldn't have any ground loops for Mike to chase either....
Steve Swaffer

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »

Are you sure they're ONLY in parallel? Does one switch position throw them into series? I've seen vintage gear that put accessories in series or parallel to reduce the power. For instance, IIRC Model T cars had a series parallel switch for the two headlights since these was no voltage regulator on the generator. You would flip the headlights into parallel mode with slow engine speed to brighten up the lights, but needed to put them in series mode when the engine RPM was high, lest you burn out the headlights from too much voltage. Of course, this was before a lead-acid battery was on board since there was no electric starter.

Yes,  Only Parallel, it seems odd, but that is the way it is.  BTW I have at least 4 examples of outlets that take both the inline Hubbell plug and the plug we know.  All four are laid out differently
Not to Code

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.