ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Four lab subs enough for small outdoor music festival?  (Read 12097 times)

Goerge Thomas

Four lab subs enough for small outdoor music festival?
« on: July 06, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »

Hello everyone,
I am providing sound for a 500 to 1000 person outdoor music festival later this summer. In years past I have used four peavey versarray 218 subs each with their own dedicated amplifier Center clustered and it has been decent at the sound volumes that we run though pretty close to maxing them out. There's a local company here in Ohio that has four of the lab subs that are built that I was looking to use for the festival and center cluster this year. Having never used the lab subs before but seeing a lot of praise about them, what should I expect compared to my previous set up? Do I need more than four to get them to really come alive? Or is a cluster four enough with these? We are only looking for extension down to 45 or 50 Hz, we are mostly looking for output considering this is dance music. Something that I forgot to add to my original post is that people will be at the closest, 5 feet away from the mouth of the subs and no farther away from the subs than 75 feet for the area that people will be watching from. So while it will be outside, the space that I am trying to focus on is not a large area
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:28:18 PM by Goerge Thomas »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Four lab subs enough for small outdoor music festival?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »

Can you clarify "dance music"?  LAB subs are good, but outdoors if very bass heavy material, you will likely want 8.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:49:04 PM »

Can you clarify "dance music"?  LAB subs are good, but outdoors if very bass heavy material, you will likely want 8.

But it has to be quite a bit better than the four Peavey subs...

John

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »

John

I'm talking not sub 50 hz edm music. For the most part it is just dance/dj music. I'm honestly not sure if 4 labsubs will be equal to or greater than the 4 VR218's we have right now. I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. They are not high end subs but not JBL JRX quality either. For the show.....They don't need to extend low. IE: nothing under 50 hz. AN example of a song they would play is calvin harris - feel so close... we are not talking skrillex sub bass music. Does this help?

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »

Calvin Harris is EDM. Without measuring that song I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet it has content below 50 cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »

Hello everyone,
I am providing sound for a 500 to 1000 person outdoor music festival later this summer. In years past I have used four peavey versarray 218 subs each with their own dedicated amplifier Center clustered and it has been decent at the sound volumes that we run though pretty close to maxing them out. There's a local company here in Ohio that has four of the lab subs that are built that I was looking to use for the festival and center cluster this year. Having never used the lab subs before but seeing a lot of praise about them, what should I expect compared to my previous set up? Do I need more than four to get them to really come alive? Or is a cluster four enough with these? We are only looking for extension down to 45 or 50 Hz, we are mostly looking for output considering this is dance music. Something that I forgot to add to my original post is that people will be at the closest, 5 feet away from the mouth of the subs and no farther away from the subs than 75 feet for the area that people will be watching from. So while it will be outside, the space that I am trying to focus on is not a large area
Since they are a local company-why not just take 1 or 2 of your curretn cabinets and go over there and do a quick side by side.

I bet you will be QUITE surprised what a pair of 12" in a proper horn can do as compared to front loaded 18" drivers.

Now that is ASSUMING the cabinets were built properly-no air leaks, proper sizes, all sealed up etc.

If not-then all bets are off as to the performance.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lyle Williams

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 07:55:02 AM »

Commercial decision.  Which option makes you more money?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »

John

The VR218 is actually a respectable 2x18 reflex box.  Without measurement and only passive observer status, I'd put them a notch under the SRX728.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Four lab subs enough for small outdoor music festival?
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 11:30:13 AM »

Is there any reason you can't run both?

If you have the dsp available you can run your peavey's with the mains, then run the labs on an aux. apply a little delay to the mains and you'll be alright.

Or, another option is to run the labs up to about 60-70hz, then crossover into the peaveys as a midbass. They'll be plenty happy from 80-120 ish. Thats a pretty common thing for a dance rig.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »

Even though you say you don't need sub 50 hz, there's nothing wrong with having it available. You might even find out you've been missing something all along!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.