ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless question  (Read 9428 times)

Taylor Phillips

Wireless question
« on: July 05, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »

We've just started using our wireless pastor's mic this week.  We're in a small space, only about 50 seats, so pastor has just been projecting, but our a/c units can't keep the place cool without the help of a couple of large fans that make about 80dBA of noise. Pastor's mic sounded great for the most part, but intermittently made a fuzzy/static sound that I thought was due to a bad cord that seems to plague a lot of head worn mics, but I couldn't duplicate it moving the cord around.  Would interference of some kind possibly sound like that? 

Audio Technica "PROformance" single band wireless system & Audio Technica head worn mic (couldn't find a model number, but looks like this one).

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Wireless question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 10:40:38 PM »

We've just started using our wireless pastor's mic this week.  We're in a small space, only about 50 seats, so pastor has just been projecting, but our a/c units can't keep the place cool without the help of a couple of large fans that make about 80dBA of noise. Pastor's mic sounded great for the most part, but intermittently made a fuzzy/static sound that I thought was due to a bad cord that seems to plague a lot of head worn mics, but I couldn't duplicate it moving the cord around.  Would interference of some kind possibly sound like that? 

Audio Technica "PROformance" single band wireless system & Audio Technica head worn mic (couldn't find a model number, but looks like this one).
Was the Pastor walking in front of aforementioned fans with his new wireless mic when the "fuzzy/static sound" happened?
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:09:09 PM »

Fans are too far away to have been able to tell if that's what was causing the noise. I can check to see how much wind is on stage, but the fans are focused more on the congregation.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »

Fans are too far away to have been able to tell if that's what was causing the noise. I can check to see how much wind is on stage, but the fans are focused more on the congregation.

Continuing on the wind noise front--is the mic an omni or directional? Do you have any kind of windscreen over it?

Some of our really old Shure wireless (fixed-frequency VHF old...) will occasionally give a bit of static if the manual squelch isn't high enough. Not sure of the vintage of your gear but if there is a manual squelch there you could try turning it up to see what happens.

How far is the receiver from the stage? Could you put it up near the stage and run the audio back to the sound  board over a snake channel?
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:39:19 PM »

Also, consider the mic placement. Is it placed in the Pastor's exhalation path (from mouth or nose)? Eliminate the simple possibilities first, then move on to the more complicated. Check mic placement, gains (wireless gives you more chances to get this wrong), cabling, the mic itself, batteries (low battery level in the transmitter could do this), and frequency selection. After those are eliminated, it gets more complicated.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

BradLyons

• dB AUDIO & VIDEO
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 06:21:51 AM »

Was the Pastor walking in front of aforementioned fans with his new wireless mic when the "fuzzy/static sound" happened?
My question is the same as another asked----did this noise happen in-front of the fans?  My speculation is, because you said "static", is there is some sort of interference going on.  I believe the wireless system you're using is a very basic entry-level product, what frequency range is that model operating in and what frequency is it set to?  Are you in any downtown areas or near a fire/police station, cell phone towers, etc?
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
Systems Advisor
dB AUDIO & VIDEO
www.dbaudioandvideo.com
www.howavl.com (To meet me)

Darren Aitcheson

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »

It couldn't possibly be something as simple as the mic just rubbing against his clothes could it?

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »

Well, I adjusted the fans not to blow onto the stage and it did help a bit.  I also turned down the gain on the transmitter and it seemed to do a bit better as well.  Still have an intermittent issue, though.  It's like the gain spikes up and then almost cuts out before going back to normal.  Dying battery perhaps?

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 08:56:03 AM »

Possible the battery is adding.  I always use fresh new batteries.  If these are the rechargeable there has been several posts on the issues and the need to keep them charged, along with the correct way to complete the charging.  There is more to this than place in the charger and leave it there until the next service.  How old is the battery and how many times has it been charged ?

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:45 AM »

Possible the battery is adding.  I always use fresh new batteries.  If these are the rechargeable there has been several posts on the issues and the need to keep them charged, along with the correct way to complete the charging.  There is more to this than place in the charger and leave it there until the next service.  How old is the battery and how many times has it been charged ?
Battery is non rechargeable off-brand model. It's a several months old but hasn't been used much.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:45 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.