ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum rugs - who provides?  (Read 11237 times)

duane massey

Re: Drum rugs - who provides?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »

Oops. I thought the OP said "rum drugs". Never mind.....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »

If you really want to have a drummer over a barrel I supposed you could carry a spare kick head.  Heavy hitters often carry a spare snare head and in a pinch can yank a bottom head off a tom.  But few carry a spare kick head.  Although I do, having had the felt come off my beater once and the plastic went though the head in one set.  One fellow I know on a drum forum carries plastic laminating sheets which he says he's done quickie head repairs with.  Maybe that's only $5 ;)

Batteries being around $2 and sticks being upwards of $10 nowadays, Tim's pricing would seem to need an update.  I could see charging 150-200% of retail for the connivence of having been prepared and having something small on hand (kick head being something a bit more involved to load every time) but 10x is kind of usury to this musician.  We've all forgotten something in a rush to a gig at some point in our lives.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 06:16:02 PM »

We've all forgotten something in a rush to a gig at some point in our lives.

True, we have all forgotten something, or had something fail at an inopportune time, however-- the more expensive that incident is, wouldn't it be true that there's a better chance you'll avoid the problem in the future? Then they'll be more likely to double check the kit to make sure you have sticks and batteries and an extra set of strings.

You have to also remember Tim's going out of his way to spend his OWN money on those items, and carry them with him-- and that is as a systems tech or A1, NOT as a sound company owner. It'd be different if this was his employer paying for those kinds of spares to be onsite. I would be very surprised (and grateful!) to find the soundco's guy just happens to have the spare parts I forgot...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 06:30:39 PM »

As a sound provider, the drum rug isn't something that would be part of the kit. However, if staging is provided, and a drum riser is set up, maybe including a carpet isn't out of line.  That being said, as a drummer, it's not something that should be expected.  Eg, if you're bringing speakers, do you expect the venue to provide stands for you?
Brian Jojade

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 06:37:12 PM »

I don't provide shit like that. Never have, never will, and I mean NEVER. If someone needs a rug then talk to the venue, and maybe they can help. We had a Beatles tribute band open for us at a fairly large ballroom in NH. Dumb ass Harrison clone asked for strings because he broke one. I was shocked and let him know it. Then he asked if it would be better if he just used my guitar (custom shop LP). You guess what happened then.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 06:47:24 PM »

That was sure nice for you to let him use your guitar.... wait, that's not what happened, is it? lol.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »

If you really want to have a drummer over a barrel I supposed you could carry a spare kick head.  Heavy hitters often carry a spare snare head and in a pinch can yank a bottom head off a tom.  But few carry a spare kick head.  Although I do, having had the felt come off my beater once and the plastic went though the head in one set.  One fellow I know on a drum forum carries plastic laminating sheets which he says he's done quickie head repairs with.  Maybe that's only $5 ;)

Batteries being around $2 and sticks being upwards of $10 nowadays, Tim's pricing would seem to need an update.  I could see charging 150-200% of retail for the connivence of having been prepared and having something small on hand (kick head being something a bit more involved to load every time) but 10x is kind of usury to this musician.  We've all forgotten something in a rush to a gig at some point in our lives.

The tuition at my school is not cheap, but then again Freud thought a high fee to be therapeutic.

And I can offer a discount if the sob story is sufficiently original...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 09:21:47 PM »

If you are not providing back line, as a sound provider do you still provide drum rugs?  One band that didn't bring theirs were expecting that I provide (all the other bands had their own.)

Thanks,
John R.

If I am only providing the sound gear for the gig - that's all that I bring.  If I'm providing the drum kit, of course I'd bring a rug.

A rug is part of every drummers' gear.

Mike M

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 10:20:48 PM »

This is a pet peeve of mine and used to drive me crazy:drummers who 'expect' me to provide it. If you need it you better bring it.

But now someone left one behind so now I have one to provide, but it still drives me crazy

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 10:34:47 PM »

I'm sure the drummer would be glad to provide you with an extension cord if you come up short.  ::)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 10:34:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.