ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Measure Current draw - Australia/230V  (Read 11099 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Measure Current draw - Australia/230V
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »

Unfortunately, it is not that simple-fuses and breakers can and do have very different trip parameters.  At a former employer, a common failure mode in some of the welders commonly tripped 800-1200 breakers in the switch gear without blowing 60 amp fuses at the welder.  Admittedly, we had poor coordination of over current protection-still would you use a time delay fuse?  fast blow? is the breaker "inverse time delay"-the most common? or magnetic or thermal? If you are borderline, with the right crest factor you could have peaks over the rated protection all night long and be fine-but that might change completely with a minor change in the trip parameter.
Steve Swaffer

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »

I have noticed over the years that any problem can be made so complicated that it can not be solved, In fact so complicated that it isn't even worth trying. I have also noticed that those same problems can be solved by others who simplify them.

Certainly there are hundreds of reasons why that particular circuit breaker might not trip EVER, or why it might trip at 5 amps but if I found that my sound system didn't trip a 7 amp fuse and my sound system wasn't used for life support I would feel quite confident.

I have made a good living solving problems that can't be solved.
Not to Code

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 09:58:11 PM »

The OP was worried that he was getting close to tripping a 10 amp breaker.  so wire up a male plug on a cord, a box with a fuse holder in it, and a cord with a female connector.  Put a 7 or 8 amp fuse in the fuse holder, turn every thing on, turn it up and find out.  The fuse will check for total current, crest factor, power factor, and everything else.
I think that's as good a method as anything.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 09:58:11 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.