ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrocution from Video Projector  (Read 3056 times)

Mike Sokol

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3361
  • Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Electrocution from Video Projector
« on: July 02, 2015, 04:02:40 pm »

A few weeks ago I was telling my install crew to be careful around the wiring while we were hooking up some big video screens and removing old projectors. I just found this incident where someone was electrocuted doing exactly the same type of job. That's also why we don't send single guys out to do installs, only teams of two or more. It's just not worth the risk of working on wiring solo. I always make sure someone else is in the room that can at least dial 911 if something goes wrong.

Man was accidentally electrocuted at Long Beach church, coroner rules

December 11, 2013 - Los Angeles County coroner officials said Jose Mejias, 36, of Downey died from accidental electrocution.

Los Angeles County coroner officials say a man found dead inside a Long Beach church last week died from an accidental electrocution. Jose Israel Mejias, 36, of Downey, was found dead about 8:30 p.m. Dec. 4 in the attic of Ministerio Bautista Logos at 901 E. South St.

The man was the son of Jose A. Mejias Sr., a pastor at the church, according to Jose Mejias’ uncle, 48-year-old Luis Galvez. Mystery had surrounded Mejias' death after authorities said they were unsure how he was electrocuted because he wasn't working with electrical wiring or electricity.

Church officials said in a statement that Mejias was installing a projector when the accident happened. "He was not working with electricity," the statement emphasized with capital letters. Coroner officials, though, examined the case Dec. 6 and confirmed the cause of death to be from accidental electrocution.

The same statement, which was posted on the church's website, provided background about Mejias and his accomplishments that included a slideshow of work certificates he received. He was a computer engineer and was employed with CompuCom, a Dallas-based information technology company.
Logged
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Tim McCulloch

  • SR Forums
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21635
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Electrocution from Video Projector
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 04:38:57 pm »

Mr. Mejias may not have been "working with electricity" but it surely worked him over.

Hazards aren't the things we know about about and take into consideration as are those things that we do not.

My condolences to the family.
Logged
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Mike Sokol

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3361
  • Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Electrocution from Video Projector
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 05:58:30 pm »

Mr. Mejias may not have been "working with electricity" but it surely worked him over.

Yes, exactly. The reason I posted this is to remind everyone to watch out for non-obvious electrocution hazards. For instance, I was talking to a guy doing solar panel demonstrations a few months ago, and was holding classes for firefighters. They need to put blankets over roof mounted solar cells to cut off the sunlight and the resultant voltage from the cells. It's not enough just to pull the power meter before you go into a house with a fire hose if there's solar cells on the roof making voltage. Yikes!!!
Logged
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Stephen Swaffer

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2384
Re: Electrocution from Video Projector
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:57:34 pm »

Unexpected sources truly are some of the worst.  I used to work with vacuum brazing furnaces that used water cooled transformers.  I still question the sanity of an engineer designing a transformer with both 480 VAC and water lines connected to it.  Further more, it turns out that the rubber water lines were conductive and carrying 120 vac.  When a maintenance man decided to fix a pin hole leak by pinching of the water line with vise grips, cutting and inserting a splicer,  he grabbed a pair of wet vise grips in each hand.  He survived-but was not a happy camper-never tried it again!

Solar panels also present an interesting challenge for firefighters needing to ventilate a roof. 
Logged
Steve Swaffer

Keith Broughton

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3419
  • Toronto
Re: Electrocution from Video Projector
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 07:45:31 am »

Another unexpected shock came to me when I was running some speaker wire in a bar.
The owner had stapled the christmas lights to the wall and I happened to touch one of the staples that had gone through the wire and my other hand was touching the cover of some BX cable.
Just about fell off the ladder!!
The owner and I had a "chat" that I'm sure he found ...informative :)
Logged
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Roberts {JR}

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16643
  • Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Electrocution from Video Projector
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 11:24:28 am »

I try not to spend much time in my attic, especially in the summer, but when up there I see my (50+YO) house wiring branches draped across the attic beams. Old school fabric covered wiring pairs. I gave them a wide berth to avoid getting stung.

JR
Logged
When in doubt do what's right.

frank kayser

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1550
  • Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Electrocution from Video Projector
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »

I try not to spend much time in my attic, especially in the summer, but when up there I see my (50+YO) house wiring branches draped across the attic beams. Old school fabric covered wiring pairs. I gave them a wide berth to avoid getting stung.

JR
After all the stories, I thought surely your house had knob and tube wiring.  At least you have something "modern"...  :P
Logged

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Electrocution from Video Projector
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »


Pages: [1]   Go Up
 



Page created in 0.058 seconds with 24 queries.