ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H-264 and Dante  (Read 4740 times)

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
H-264 and Dante
« on: June 29, 2015, 12:01:15 PM »

I have a mobile stage. FOH is usually about a 75' run from the stage. Have a cat5e from FOH to stage running a small Dante setup. 16 Channels to a QL1. Have two screens that I want to display video content on each side of the stage. Can I stream H-264 along with the Dante? Mostly SD 4:3 but may want to run HD at some point.

Any thoughts? I am trying to get away from running SDI cable and multiple converters (HDMI-SDI-HDMI)
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Alex Donkle

Re: H-264 and Dante
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »

I have a mobile stage. FOH is usually about a 75' run from the stage. Have a cat5e from FOH to stage running a small Dante setup. 16 Channels to a QL1. Have two screens that I want to display video content on each side of the stage. Can I stream H-264 along with the Dante? Mostly SD 4:3 but may want to run HD at some point.

Any thoughts? I am trying to get away from running SDI cable and multiple converters (HDMI-SDI-HDMI)

I'll likely come down to bandwidth and latency. How many channels of audio at what bitrate are used by Dante, and what bitrate is the SD video you're using (H.264 is a compressed video format, so the bitrate is adjustable on most encoders). Note while that Cat5e can handle 1000 Mbps, that is theoretical in many cases and it's worth testing your cables and switches to verify their actual field performance.

Also note that H.264 takes much more time to encode than decode, so if you have any live video sources (i.e. IMAG) it'll likely show a large amount of latency and not work very well. Uncompressed video formats (e.g. SDI and HDMI) are typically better suited for live video because of this, in addition to being higher quality.
Consultant

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:44:43 PM »

The video is not live and would be handled by a hardware encoder/decoder
Steven Alves

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »

The video is not live and would be handled by a hardware encoder/decoder

You said "streaming" in your op, is it streaming or file transfer? File transfer will be fine if set up properly, steaming may be an issue as both audio and video will want high QoS priority.

Mac

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:59:24 PM »

It would be streaming via http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/video_over_ip/maevex/

But it is not live so latency on the video is not an issue. Again only around 16/8 channels of Dante in use.
Steven Alves

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 11:57:45 PM »

If the video isn't live then why risk streaming it over the network at all? why not put the source at the stage?

Jason

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:24:11 AM »

Although the content is not live, it is still being changed and controlled from FOH.

Also, just a quick update.. Using the matrox product listed above we have less then a second of latency in our setup. Watching Dante controller it has not affected the latency of the audio at all either.
Steven Alves

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:24:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.