ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Interface Firewire and USB help  (Read 2076 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Audio Interface Firewire and USB help
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:36:39 AM »

Thank you.  I hope this is the correct place for this post. 

I recently purchased a new MacBook Air.  I also purchased a used Apogee Duet Firewire interface from a friend.  He had an old MacBook Pro.  The break-out cable is firewire and my MacBook air doesn't have a firewire port.  It only has lightening and USB.  I googled this problem and found that some people had issues when trying to hook up this interface with a "USB" breakout cable or by using an adapter. 

I am wanting to use this interface for live sound with my Roland Keyboard and Mainstage.

My questions: 

Is it possible to use this interface with my MacBook Air or am I just going to have to get another interface?
If possible, what cable do I need in order to use this interface with my laptop?

Thank you again.

John L Nobile

Re: Audio Interface Firewire and USB help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:41:42 AM »

I've used Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters with success but you never know till you've tried it.

Those adapters only work one way. Older Mac's with Firewire only will not work with an adapter connected to a Thunderbolt device.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »

Thanks, John. And I've also just learned that I will have to get a 800 to 400 adapter as well, since my interface has FW400 and not 800.

I'm ordering the cable and adapter today.  I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:33:44 PM »

I use a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor with my Macbook Pro and Saffire Pro 40 interface - works perfect. As long as your Apogee interface works with your version of Mac OSx you should be fine.
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:33:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.