ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: U2 tour sound  (Read 19545 times)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Re: tour sound
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »

Or people can come by the demo room at Infocomm in Orlando (you don't need a pass to get into the demo rooms) next month to hear "a new approach".

Ivan,
Do you have a recommended Day/Time for the best Demos & Presentations from Danley at Infocomm? I've been before but not for any higher volume demos.

Thanks,

Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 07:24:39 PM »

Ivan,
Do you have a recommended Day/Time for the best Demos & Presentations from Danley at Infocomm? I've been before but not for any higher volume demos.

Thanks,

Lance Hallmark
The demos are on the odd hours. Fri evening would not really be a good time-as we will be tearing things down.  But we do kinds of "odd things" on the "spur of the moment.  So Wed or Thur would be the best bets.

Basically if you show and "talk to the right people" we will most likely do a bit of "showing the stuff".  But a small room is not exactly the best room-but it is all we can in Orlando.

The "powers that be" (show people) have imposed SPL restrictions on the demos.  I wonder who that is targeted at ;)  ;)

So we will not be turning it up until the very end of the demo.  Everybody has come to expect that.  We will only have 1 "super sub" (which is more than enough) but will have some other new smaller high output subs as well.

We will start with a bunch of new smaller cabinets that is really going to confuse people because it looks like a-cough "L.A. cough" -and then end up with the-weeellll let's just say for now "a new player in the mid level tour market-brand new approach for Danley".

It will mostly be new products.

I can't say anything else until the show.

We are talking (In house) about sticking around after hours (after 5pm) and doing demos for people what want it-but not having anything "official".

This can be a REAL problem and be a bit "touchy".

You have a room full of people-some that want to turn it up-and others who will leave if you do.  Some people are talking about business and don't want to hear loud sounds-others want to "pound".

Very often the people who don't want it loud are the ones who will buy or spec the most product.

And often the people who want to hear it loud-will never buy anything-but just want to "play".

Now I realize this is not everybody-so don't assume I mean anybody in particular and I hate to "stereotype".

I doubt we will have a "turn it up" night like we did 2 years ago.

But-------------who knows.

Hope that helps a little

I will be on the show floor most of the time-but will go to the demo room at the end of the demo hours (for most of the demos-maybe not all) to hang around and ask questions.

Tom will be back and forth between them.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Burgess

Re: U2 tour sound
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »

I'll be making the trek to InfoComm this year, I'll do my best to come by, say hello, and check out the gear.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »

The demos are on the odd hours. Fri evening would not really be a good time-as we will be tearing things down.  But we do kinds of "odd things" on the "spur of the moment.  So Wed or Thur would be the best bets.

Basically if you show and "talk to the right people" we will most likely do a bit of "showing the stuff".  But a small room is not exactly the best room-but it is all we can in Orlando.
<<snip>>

Thanks Ivan, we'll be out Thursday & Friday, looking forward to seeing the new gear!
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Justin Weaver

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »

Ivan,

For me and a lot of other people, one of the issues is the size and weight of the boxes. We want boxes nominally 100Kgs or less that can be flown quickly and cover a range of venues, as well as having truck pack dimensions.

This thread is mostly about U2’s PA, and guess what, their PA (L-Acoustics K1 – 106 Kgs) basically satisfies that criteria.

What does Danley have that is 100Kgs or less and can be arrayed to do a show of this size?  As I understand - nothing! That’s the issue, and it’s that simple.

Having said that; I do understand the sonic advantages of a true point source, its just that no one has made a point source speaker / array that fits the size and weight (100kgs) component criteria and offers the SPL needed.

Of the systems I have heard Martins MLA is close to achieving point source performance, it’s not really a line array and it’s not beam steering …. Very very cleaver, but complex.   

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but U2 is NOT using K1...just wanted to clarify that. :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.