ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Caster/wheel size?  (Read 6146 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Caster/wheel size?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »

It's not just the fact that they are 4" that will be "better" for you.  It is the width of the wheel providing more surface area, the effectiveness and ease of use of the "all lock" brake, and the quality of the wheel and plate bearings.  Penn-Elcom wheels are great in all these areas.  There are many inferior casters that have less surface area, use crappy and inconvenient brakes, and don't roll quite as nicely when weighted down.  Just about everything from any large retail store will be cheaper than the Penn's but fall into the crappy category.

If it is often the case that only one person is moving the subs, you might consider getting 2 of the 4 casters in a "fixed" configuration.  Others can chime in on this and opinions may vary but I have a couple of 4'x2'x2' lighting boxes that are not quite as heavy as those subs.  One box has two fixed wheels and one has all 4 able to rotate freely.  The one with 2 fixed wheels is somewhat less maneuverable and you have to plan ahead which end goes first in tight spaces.  But it tracks straight when there is any kind of off camber slope such as a trailer ramp that has a tilt to it or a van parked on an angle, or across uneven ground.  With two fixed wheels and the two plate casters locked, it seems to stay in place and not slide better also.

The other light box with all 4 plate casters, two of which lock, is very difficult to manage with one person when there is a double slope.  You can only control one end by yourself and the other end can get away from you pretty easily.

I am curious to see what others might say about this idea.

You brought out the pros and cons of both really. I find the same thing.
My '2 swivel /2 fixed' boxes can be awkward to maneuver but do stay put better on a slope.

Good point on quality of wheels - not just size. My 3" wheels all have full brakes and are good quality so no issues there with mine but with the 4" wheels comes more surface area as you pointed out.
Considering the huge benefits wheels bring to what we do, spending the extra on 4" higher quality wheels is a no-brainer !!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 10:50:10 AM »

Thanks everyone! 

Went with the 4". 

The logic and wisdom here is much appreciated. 

Love this board!

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »

you might consider getting 2 of the 4 casters in a "fixed" configuration

+1 for all the reasons stated
I am a proponent of this as well

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »

GO BIG
My perception is that also reduces vibration to the equipment. (My custom built mixing table has 8 inch castors)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »

GO BIG
My perception is that also reduces vibration to the equipment. (My custom built mixing table has 8 inch castors)

I said this in my earlier post - very true and most important for racks with more delicate equipment in them.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 09:02:23 PM »

I said this in my earlier post
I thought so, but looked, didn't see it so thought I should chime in.
I see it now. Plain as day. Glad it wasn't something waiting to bite me.  :)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 09:02:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.