ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing MOV surge strips  (Read 13852 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Replacing MOV surge strips
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »

suppose the guitar player decides to turn up his amp past 11, causing it to explode and send a spike of energy back down the line.

FWIW, guitar amps don't explode.  Typically they overheat the power transformer which melts the wax it's potted with producing smoke and an aroma that most guitar players know all too well.  The other thing is that output tubes short out.  One of two things usually happen.  Either the 2-3 amp fuse blows or it takes out the plate resistor which creates smoke or the occasional fire along with blowing the fuse.  Which is about as spectacular as it gets.  Since there's a 2-3 amp fuse in the line side, there's no way any surge is going to be fed back anywhere.  Everything is referenced to ground (or neutral on older non-grounded amps).  A good modern amp should have flameproof resistors of sufficient capacity to take the fuse out.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 08:41:11 PM »

FWIW, guitar amps don't explode.
But what about the static electricity released from the rip in the space-time fabric  :)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 08:41:11 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.