ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tree wiring  (Read 2656 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Tree wiring
« on: June 25, 2015, 03:07:27 PM »

I spotted this at a high end B&B whose grounds are open to the public from a sidewalk along the ocean.

I think it is a Tree Ground Fault?

Further along on the same grounds a similar wire came up out of the ground about 18 in and ended where it had been cut.  I reported it, they didn't seem concerned.
Not to Code

Jeff Robinson

• Kansas City, MO
Re: Tree wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:05:51 PM »

I spotted this at a high end B&B whose grounds are open to the public from a sidewalk along the ocean.

I think it is a Tree Ground Fault?

Further along on the same grounds a similar wire came up out of the ground about 18 in and ended where it had been cut.  I reported it, they didn't seem concerned.

Hi Frank

The tree lighting looks like the box (but not the wire connector) is appropriate for outdoors (the installation is most definitely NOT done in a 'workmanlike' manner). The cut wire is safe if unpowered. The current code requires removal of 'abandoned' wiring (incomplete statement, abbreviated to make my point). Your concerns are not unfounded but getting the issues repaired apparently will require the local code inspector (AHJ) to determine if it is old enough to be 'grandfathered' (allowed), or not. I am of course presuming the pictured cabling is UF (outdoor/burial rated) and not NMB (indoor only).

HTH,

Jeff Robinson
Excerpt from Shelley's 'Ode to a Skylark':
Pourest thy full heart
In profuse strains of unpremeditated art
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then, as I am listening now!

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:27:07 PM »

Hi Frank

The tree lighting looks like the box (but not the wire connector) is appropriate for outdoors (the installation is most definitely NOT done in a 'workmanlike' manner). The cut wire is safe if unpowered. The current code requires removal of 'abandoned' wiring (incomplete statement, abbreviated to make my point). Your concerns are not unfounded but getting the issues repaired apparently will require the local code inspector (AHJ) to determine if it is old enough to be 'grandfathered' (allowed), or not. I am of course presuming the pictured cabling is UF (outdoor/burial rated) and not NMB (indoor only).

HTH,

Jeff Robinson

Interesting.  I thought that the wire laying on the ground for 2 ft or so was dangerous because it could be mowed or weed waked.    Just for looks I would have run a plastic conduit from the box to at least slightly below ground and not had any wire horizontal on the ground. 

If code allows for the two ft laying on the ground I think it is a case of meets code but not safe.
Not to Code

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »

Interesting.  I thought that the wire laying on the ground for 2 ft or so was dangerous because it could be mowed or weed waked.    Just for looks I would have run a plastic conduit from the box to at least slightly below ground and not had any wire horizontal on the ground. 

If code allows for the two ft laying on the ground I think it is a case of meets code but not safe.

Code generally requires NM and UF to be protected where "subject to damage".  So yes, PVC conduit from 7' to 8' above the ground  to the required direct burial depth.  12 inches if a single GFCI protected branch circuit or 18 inches otherwise.

The lack of management concern explains the conditions.  I hope they are more careful with the breakfast they feed you!
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.