ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The art of eating EV crow.  (Read 17065 times)

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
Re: F***ing EV
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »

I called EV and waited, eventually I hung up the phone.

Being on hold indefinitely really gets me worked up, so can understand how that added to your misery.  Hopefully you'll get resolution tomorrow without too much hassle. 

I like the Sx500+ a lot, too.  Almost bought a pair some 20 years ago.  I never looked to see if the horn is the same, but currently have the Sx300a for small bar gigs and while they don't get very loud, they sure sound great.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 08:00:38 PM »

I recently purchased a pair of TX1122FM monitors. I was given great service, a great price, and from a great person, Mike Pyle. Thank you Mike.

And that's where the joy ends.

I received the monitors from Mike, brought them inside, opened them up, and perfect. No damage, great looking boxes, and exactly what you might expect to see for a $750 monitor.

Two days later I have the chance to attach the monitors to a pair of mix groups on my Expression, two (2) IDENTICAL groups, powering separate channels on the same amp, driven by separate but identical channels, set up using the copy function of the board, being fed by identical Heil PR-22s. In other words, no difference between either monitor setup.

I turn on the equipment with all of the channel gain and monitor mix gains down ALL THE WAY. I bring up monitor one and I hear a little feedback, maybe as much as saying eeeep. I back off the levels, check the monitor levels again, sound, etc., and I'm totally blown away by the pristine sound and volume level of the monitor. Great stuff, I'm happy, my side man is happy, so on to the next monitor.

I proceed to the next brand new monitor and bring up the volume, hear a tiny eeep, and proceed to ring out the second monitor exactly the same way I had rung out the first monitor. My side man of 55 years, Louie, is helping with the test. He looks at me and says "This box sounds like shit." So I compare the settings on the two channels and they're identical, go back to listen to the monitor, and no kidding, there's no output from the compression driver.

At this point I'm starting to get bullshit because it dawns on me why I stopped using anything EV 20 years ago. There's always problems with horns says my mind. Look at the crossover. So I open the box, look at the crossover, and sure enough, the fucking light bulb bullshit in the circuit is burned out. Not one, but both of them. So my mind says WTF, if the box can't withstand an eeep without blowing the fishbulb Homer, how the fuck will you be able to use these in a live environment?

Now I'm at the point where I'm really pissed and everything EV can kiss my royal ass, and I wonder if  I can burn the boxes without my wife screaming at me for wasting money, or if I can kill raccoons with them, or just anything but use them for monitors.

So Louie points out that the other box is chugging along just fine, and sounds as good as the EAW's sitting beside it. I calm down and decide to send Mike an email. He replies, and I'm OK with Mike. Not his fault, and he's been great. So off I go to the car parts store today and pick up a dozen 212-2LL.BP2 dome light bulbs. Just can't have enough spares for EV cabinets says my mind, you fucked up says my mind, and I hate you EV says my mind.

Today I replaced the fishbulbs Homer with the 212-2 bulbs I bought at the parts store. And guess what? That little bity eeeep took out the fishbulbs Homer, and the fucking compression driver diaphragm. Of course I could run the box as is if I liked the sound of a coffee grinder, but I don't so I've ordered a pair of OEM replacements to the tune of  $150.99, shipping included of course. Fucking EV, you suck green donkey dicks, and don't ask me how I really feel. End of my EV rant, and slap me for not remembering the pain I had been through in the past with EV compression drivers. And I haven't destroyed a driver of any type in over 25 years. Why oh why didn't I go JBL. Fuck you again EV.
Those JBL 2ways are still available at that great price Bob.  ;)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 09:08:36 PM »

Trust me Stu. I almost pulled that trigger 2 hours ago. Driving me crazy.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »

Trust me Stu. I almost pulled that trigger 2 hours ago. Driving me crazy.

Bob, if you hate them enough I'll gladly give you $700 and take the little buggers off your hands :) I'll even take picture of me shaming them at shows. They'll be unplugged and in the corner feeling bad about themselves while my clients use the micro wedges instead. Deal?

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 05:28:56 AM »

I have 4 of the SXA250's I've been using for monitors. I believe they have the DH2010A drivers in them. Never a problem. Went for a bathroom break once during a practice and one band member wanted to "hear" the mains. Turned the speaker on the tripod to face him and nothing but feedback. For at least 1 minute. They were fine.
I do have 2, brand new, in the box , only opened to try SX250 passive speakers. I wonder how they compare and if you'd want something like that?

Douglas R. Allen

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »

Bob, if you hate them enough I'll gladly give you $700 and take the little buggers off your hands :) I'll even take picture of me shaming them at shows. They'll be unplugged and in the corner feeling bad about themselves while my clients use the micro wedges instead. Deal?

I'll swap you for four (4) MRX512 shipped to my house.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 07:28:30 AM »

Did a small restaurant gig with some 512s we had been using for monitors over the past 7 years plugged into my GigRack.  No idea what happened as it didn't seem that loud and no distortion on the videos I saw, but by the end of the night we'd lost two HF drivers and were using the one we brought for a monitor to get some intelligibility into the room.  Don't know if they just got tired or what.  I've used that GigRack with a couple of old S300 for a few years and never had any problem.  Although the S100s I had awhile back did go through HF drivers.  They sounded better (and were much lighter) than the 300s but I went through too many diaphragm replacements.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: The art of eating EV crow.
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 04:26:45 PM »

So after a couple of attempts I was able to get through to EV. I explained the issue and exactly what happened and was transferred to a wonderful young lady named Amy. She asked me to explain what happened and I repeated my story fully expecting to be told this was not a problem covered by warranty, which is exactly what had happened to me in the past when calling EV about a similar situation. To my surprise she was very pleasant, apologized for the inconvenience, and issued an RMA for the return of the cabinet. On top of that she sent a new cabinet overnight at EV expense, sent me a return label for the failed cabinet via email, and I have received shipment confirmation, all within 20 minutes. Pardon me while I choke on the crows feathers. It would seem EV has made some real world progress since being acquired by Bosch.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »

So after a couple of attempts I was able to get through to EV. I explained the issue and exactly what happened and was transferred to a wonderful young lady named Amy. She asked me to explain what happened and I repeated my story fully expecting to be told this was not a problem covered by warranty, which is exactly what had happened to me in the past when calling EV about a similar situation. To my surprise she was very pleasant, apologized for the inconvenience, and issued an RMA for the return of the cabinet. On top of that she sent a new cabinet overnight at EV expense, sent me a return label for the failed cabinet via email, and I have received shipment confirmation, all within 20 minutes. Pardon me while I choke on the crows feathers. It would seem EV has made some real world progress since being acquired by Bosch.

Good news.  Hopefully the new cab will function flawlessly/provide years of service.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »

Want fries with that?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.