ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripp-Lite UPS Repair  (Read 7043 times)

Keith Finch

Tripp-Lite UPS Repair
« on: June 25, 2015, 07:35:15 pm »

I have several Tripp-Lite UPS units in need of repair, Tripp-Lite does not repair these units they just exchange them in the warranty period and then you are out of luck. If anyone knows of a service center that can repair them, I have a little business to send there way.

Thanks in advance for any info.

John Rutirasiri

Re: Tripp-Lite UPS Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:47:31 pm »

I have several Tripp-Lite UPS units in need of repair, Tripp-Lite does not repair these units they just exchange them in the warranty period and then you are out of luck. If anyone knows of a service center that can repair them, I have a little business to send there way.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Are you sure it's not the batteries gone dead?  Tripp Lite "online" UPS (the Smart Online series) will not turn on if the battery is completely dead.  These lead acid batteries go bad if you leave them completely discharged for 6 months or more.

We have a few 1000Va SmartOnlines that went dead -- all but one turned out to be dead batteries.

Replacement batteries go for about $20-$25 each (eBay).  I'm going on 3 years with these replacement batteries and still good.  Tripp Lite wanted almost $200 for their batteries.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Keith Finch

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:24:30 pm »

Yes, I had replaced the batteries knowing about this issue. They start up, run just fine until you unplug them overnight. Thats all she wrote. Never starts again unless you charge the batteries externally. This is the issue with 3 units....just wont charge it appears.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:07:49 pm »

Are you turning the units off at night when they are unplugged? If you leave them on, they will drain the battery and then the battery is dead, and they won't start with a dead battery.  It's a design flaw.
Brian Jojade

Keith Finch

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:51:13 pm »

Yes these units are on our digital consoles, they get shut off at end of show. When someone does not shut it off it shows up back in the shop as a dead unit. I then recharge the batteries by removing them...starting up a second unit...remove its batteries while live...place the dead one in the live UPS so it will charge. As you said its a design flaw. These units are made to live in a computer server room and never have the chance to drain the batteries fully. So even if I place a fully charged battery or new one in a unit it will not continue to run for any length of time, as the battery looses charge when unit is off it never recharges, so if there is a problem with low voltage (Normal Fairgrounds) the unit takes over and drains the battery. After a few cycles it fails.

I have not found other brands that offer a Online All of the Time unit that is in a similar form factor, If I did I would move to another brand. The support for these units is the pits.

dave briar

• Helena Montana
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 01:59:14 pm »

--snip--
I have not found other brands that offer a Online All of the Time unit that is in a similar form factor, If I did I would move to another brand. The support for these units is the pits.
Just curious Keith, what form factor is that?  ie, what model?

...dave
..db

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 02:03:57 pm »

How does a person unplug the unit from power and not hear the unit chirping signifying it is running on battery?

Keith Finch

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 02:26:38 pm »

Dvae

Simple 2 space rack mount units The number is SU2200RTXL2Ua

Keith Finch

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 02:31:08 pm »

How does a person unplug the unit from power and not hear the unit chirping signifying it is running on battery?

I think what happens is the show goes Down, The Racks get closed in front, then the racks get closed in back as power goes out. Many times there is another event like Monster trucks starting up...Good luck hearing that little beep from a UPS in a closed rack with that noise near you. Or someone send a stage hand to disconnect and close up...No that is not what should happen, but it does.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 02:57:50 pm »

I think what happens is the show goes Down, The Racks get closed in front, then the racks get closed in back as power goes out. Many times there is another event like Monster trucks starting up...Good luck hearing that little beep from a UPS in a closed rack with that noise near you. Or someone send a stage hand to disconnect and close up...No that is not what should happen, but it does.

Most UPS behave the same way.  I know that Liebert and APC have the same issue.  Some enterprise units have separate charger and inverter controls allowing you to charge batteries then turn the inverter on. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 02:57:50 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.