ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another LS9 connection Problem-Surface Pro3  (Read 7698 times)

Ade Stuart

Re: Yet another LS9 connection Problem-Surface Pro3
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 06:28:49 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion: board was freshly initialized, then I manually set the IP configs
(IP 192.168.100.128, SUbnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.100.1)
Entered the correct addresses manually in DME, also tried to search for the LS9, but no love.

Is the laptop set to a manual IP address 192.168.100.xxx?

Have you tried using <advanced settings> <Auto Detect> in the DME network driver?

Nick Gibson

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 09:21:42 AM »

Could it not be compatible with OS 8? Or could it be that your OS version? Home versus pro? You are able to ping it so you have the right numbers.
Thanks John -
According to Yamaha, the DME-N driver is compatible with Win8, and I've got the 64-bit version of Studio Manager, which I presume wouldn't exist unless the driver also worked under 64-bit.... but again, I could be wrong.  I haven't heard of others having problems using 64-bit Windows and communicating with the LS9. In fact there's a very short video on YouTube showing a guy controlling his LS9 using a Surface Pro 3 & Studio Manager, but no explanation on how he accomplished it.
I do have a wireless router as well, but have been having a hard time finding detailed instructions on how to set that up - and most people say to get it working in a wired setup first.
Still plugging away...

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 03:26:21 PM »

Couple of points...

1. The LS9 has an auto-MDIX ethernet connection, so it will work with both a regular and crossover cable. The confusion comes because the M7CL does not have auto-MDIX and requires a crossover cable for direct connection. FWIW, the M7CL is the only Yamaha console like that, all others are auto-MDIX AFAIK.
2. Windows firewall MAY cause issues, but you have confirmed that you have that turned off so all good there.
3. Turn off your Wireless card if you haven't already. Sometimes that causes issues, but not always.
4. Your computer's IP address needs to be in the same subnet, so you have to set your computer's IP manually to the same subnet. e.g. if your LS9 is set to 192.168.100.128, you need to set your computer's IP to something like 192.168.100.1.

There's really not much more to it than that. Bad CAT5 cables, bad ethernet ports, bad driver install, etc. are all possible but are less likely than the points above.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »

... Still plugging away...

Hi Nick,
Here’s one idea using your router:

Set up your router to have a base address of 192.168.1.1 (usual default address for many routers) with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

Set LS9 to IP Address 192.168.1.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1

Set Surface Pro 3 Ethernet Port to IP Address 192.168.1.3 (“Use the following IP Address” - No DHCP)
Use 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS server and 8.8.8.4 as the secondary DNS server

Leaving the Router Internet Upstream port empty:
1.) Connect LS9 to Router Port 1
2.) Connect Surface Pro 3 to Router Port 2

Bring up the DME-N panel and on the Advanced panel set the auto-search range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.5

Does it work?

I did have problems using a USB to Ethernet port on one notebook I tried – is that what you’ve got for an Ethernet port?

EDITED/CORRECTED INCORRECT GATEWAY ADDRESS PARM ON LS9 - Sorry!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:57:33 PM by Bob Charest »

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »

Nick, have you confirmed you can get Internet/LAN access using the USB dongle when connecting to an already-setup network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »

You set the gateway address but don't have one in your described config.
Change the LS9 gateway to your PC or add an actual gateway(router).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Nick Gibson

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »

Couple of points...

1. The LS9 has an auto-MDIX ethernet connection, so it will work with both a regular and crossover cable. The confusion comes because the M7CL does not have auto-MDIX and requires a crossover cable for direct connection. FWIW, the M7CL is the only Yamaha console like that, all others are auto-MDIX AFAIK.
2. Windows firewall MAY cause issues, but you have confirmed that you have that turned off so all good there.
3. Turn off your Wireless card if you haven't already. Sometimes that causes issues, but not always.
4. Your computer's IP address needs to be in the same subnet, so you have to set your computer's IP manually to the same subnet. e.g. if your LS9 is set to 192.168.100.128, you need to set your computer's IP to something like 192.168.100.1.

There's really not much more to it than that. Bad CAT5 cables, bad ethernet ports, bad driver install, etc. are all possible but are less likely than the points above.

All great points. Though I believe I checked all those, I'll have to wait for my next opportunity to try these out.
Will update when I can.

Nick Gibson

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 03:18:58 PM »

Hi Nick,
Here’s one idea using your router:

Set up your router to have a base address of 192.168.1.1 (usual default address for many routers) with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

Set LS9 to IP Address 192.168.1.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1

Set Surface Pro 3 Ethernet Port to IP Address 192.168.1.3 (“Use the following IP Address” - No DHCP)
Use 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS server and 8.8.8.4 as the secondary DNS server

Leaving the Router Internet Upstream port empty:
1.) Connect LS9 to Router Port 1
2.) Connect Surface Pro 3 to Router Port 2

Bring up the DME-N panel and on the Advanced panel set the auto-search range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.5

Does it work?

I did have problems using a USB to Ethernet port on one notebook I tried – is that what you’ve got for an Ethernet port?

EDITED/CORRECTED INCORRECT GATEWAY ADDRESS PARM ON LS9 - Sorry!

Thanks Bob, that's the great step-by-step I've been looking for. Unfortunately I'll have to wait till my next opportunity to apply it, hopefully soon.
Will update when I can.

Nick Gibson

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »

Nick, have you confirmed you can get Internet/LAN access using the USB dongle when connecting to an already-setup network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I did confirm that the usb/ethernet adapter was functioning on another connection. Thanks for the idea.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »

Thanks Bob, that's the great step-by-step I've been looking for. Unfortunately I'll have to wait till my next opportunity to apply it, hopefully soon.
Will update when I can.
Cool... It seems there's always something when I'm re-configuring and using a new (to me) LS9... Kind of a "how many ways can I fail" scenario. :-)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.