ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: "True sub"  (Read 17127 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: "True sub"
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 04:59:19 PM »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »

I thought that was cow bell. Man , I have got a lot to learn !
Everybody needs MORE cowbell!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/536145
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:19 PM »

Everybody needs MORE cowbell!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/536145
my cowbell is more better. this is me playing by request of people asking me to play more cowbell. this was done in hurry using 2 SM58 mics, Tascam 52 r2t , M-audiobuddy mic preamp, copied to a Teac CD recorder, along with some heat, earplugs, a glazed donut, whipped cream, a girlfriend, latex solar beef, the Duke of Prunes, and an old Mountian record album that does not contain mississippi queen. I am really Pizzathehut ! wow , i got a whole 100 views !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPviSK6xl2k

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »

i dont use my woofers as subs. i cross my 18" , 15" , 12" woofers at 130hz. i cross 12" and 10" low/mid speakers at. i never allow the low/mids to go below 130hz and i get a little better low/mid clarity. i also use high quality drivers to begin with.
Ah, the old brickwall crossover.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 03:59:24 PM »

I use Ashly XR1001 and XR4001 crossovers. 24db LR. I stopped using passive crossovers many years ago. Brick wall ?! No ! Brick house ! UH !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBx6mAWYPU

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »

A brickwall would need an appropriate flyover device, such as a drone, or catapult.

-Dennis

<edit>

I think Jeff B's original point was that he uses "woofers", not "subs".

-D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:20:15 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »

Was just responding to the comment "i never allow the low/mids to go below 130hz".  I'm pretty sensitive to IM distortion and so I'm not fond of the same driver that's producing the fundamentals of voice and instruments also trying to produce bass.  I tend to think of sub as something below the lowest note on a guitar.

I got to experience the Hartley subs once.  You couldn't really hear them.  They were developed to produce infrasonic sound in experiments on airport noise.    These refrigerator sized cabinets were put into homes in blind experiments on subsonic rumble that you couldn't hear but to see if it affected test subjects.  Mark Levinson latched onto them as part of his HQD reference playback system.  They didn't sound like subs.  There was no stunning deep bass.  But there was the concussive impact of things like someone stomping on a stage.  I got to hear an original 30ips half-track tape played back on the same machine it was recorded on of Eubie Blake giving a recital in a theatre.  As he stamped his foot in time you didn't hear this big booming thud, but it the experience of listening to it was very realistic.

That is a true sub.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:19 PM »

Was just responding to the comment "i never allow the low/mids to go below 130hz".  I'm pretty sensitive to IM distortion and so I'm not fond of the same driver that's producing the fundamentals of voice and instruments also trying to produce bass.  I tend to think of sub as something below the lowest note on a guitar.

I got to experience the Hartley subs once.  You couldn't really hear them.  They were developed to produce infrasonic sound in experiments on airport noise.    These refrigerator sized cabinets were put into homes in blind experiments on subsonic rumble that you couldn't hear but to see if it affected test subjects.  Mark Levinson latched onto them as part of his HQD reference playback system.  They didn't sound like subs.  There was no stunning deep bass.  But there was the concussive impact of things like someone stomping on a stage.  I got to hear an original 30ips half-track tape played back on the same machine it was recorded on of Eubie Blake giving a recital in a theatre.  As he stamped his foot in time you didn't hear this big booming thud, but it the experience of listening to it was very realistic.

That is a true sub.

You are correct.  A true sub should produce frequencies below (sub audio) what our ears can perceive.  What value is it?  I don't know.

-Dennis

<edit> 

This sounds like an old TAS article from the 70's... 

-D

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:37:00 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

John L Nobile

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »

When did the term subs first come about? In the 80s we used bass bins. I don't remember when I first heard that word used with something that didn't sink ships.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 03:28:15 AM »

the first time i heard sub woofer was in the car audio crowd. iirc it was in the 90's. it is a seperate mono woofer added to small ful range speakers in a vehicle. how can you have a sub woofer if you already have 15" or 18" woofers. how does adding seperate woofer only cabinets make them subs ? most of the strong bass is in the 80-100hz range and thats not sub. i can feel 40hz and i can hear 40hz rattle things but thats not sub since the an open E on the bass guitar is 41hz. the low A on a piano is 27.5hz. maybe sub is short for substitute woofer when a pair of 6x9 car speakers cant cut it. i never use the words sub woofer or sub. i call the speaker that produces the bass a woofer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 03:28:15 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.