ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Options to SMAART  (Read 17648 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Options to SMAART
« on: June 23, 2015, 07:53:08 AM »

Years ago, many years ago, I used my licensed copy of Smaart whenever need, but never upgraded the product. I've looked into the upgrade and the new license would cost almost as much as buying a new version without the upgrade. On top of that the system I used is no longer compatible, and I can't find most of the rest of the hardware I used at the time. I'm also at a point where it makes absolutely no sense for me to put together a new system, and I doubt that if I did put a new system together, that I would realize the benefits of that system.

I have a newish Ipad, a good USB interface, and have heard there is a single channel app that might make sense for taking quick measurements of system performance. That may be a good option in my case, and if there are others, could someone enlighten me please.

Thank you all.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

Re: Options to SMAART
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »

Studio Six has both a version of Smaart for the iPad and their own dual channel system which is very reasonably priced.  The video demos look good from a basic system alignment and eq functionality.  The interface they sell jacks the price up near Smaart levels but I've read other places than any basic 2 channel interface will work.  You may be tied to a wall wart power for them, but if you primarily are looking for FOH use as you would be doing with a laptop and Smaart, this looks like a very viable option.  I'm looking around at interfaces for this and if I get one before you do, I'll let you know how it works out.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »

What about SysTune?

http://systune.afmg.eu/
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »

Chris Tsanjoures

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:48:36 AM »

depending on where you are coming from, a license of Smaart DI may be your best option to stay with the platform.
I am employed by Rational Acoustics. Besides being a Product Manager for the Smaart Platform, I operate as a fully deployable Smaart Ninja (aka Instructor/System Guy).

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »

I guess the first question is: What do you plan on using it for?  What you hope to gain from the information, what types of measurements do you plan on doing, and so forth.

I use a number of different tools for different purposes-that give different types of results.

There are some less expensive programs out there-but they do not offer as many features or tools.

Do you need one mic or many?  That is just one example of differences.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »

Damn it, my post has been Ivanated*.

I'm going to use it for personal use only and on fewer than 3 systems. I don't need it to make money, I don't care about anyone else's systems, all I want is simple diagnostics derived from speaker output. I.E. Is the system tuned flat. I do not want to spend much money or I would have simply bought SMAART, again. I have a two channel interface, and have all the mics, laptops, Ipads, systems, etc. I'll ever need for this purpose, plus, I don't care if the product supports 100 channels or 1 channel. I do not want complexity, I want cheap. Why? Because I'm 64, near the end of my game, and want to be able to realize a benefit from the product before I fucking die. And now you owe me 5 minutes of my life back.

* Ivanated. Noun, The process of using knowledge to add complexity, which although always very much appreciated, is in some cases not fucking needed. / The tendency to lengthen posts with technical knowledge which is in some cases not germane to the subject.

Example. Bob was checking his post for some recommendations to SMAART when he encountered an Ivanated response. It took so long to read Bob had a stroke and his question is lost in the translation, with Bob being unable to type ever again. (you wish)
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:31:33 PM »

Damn it, my post has been Ivanated*.

I'm going to use it for personal use only and on fewer than 3 systems. I don't need it to make money, I don't care about anyone else's systems, all I want is simple diagnostics derived from speaker output. I.E. Is the system tuned flat. I do not want to spend much money or I would have simply bought SMAART, again. I have a two channel interface, and have all the mics, laptops, Ipads, systems, etc. I'll ever need for this purpose, plus, I don't care if the product supports 100 channels or 1 channel. I do not want complexity, I want cheap. Why? Because I'm 64, near the end of my game, and want to be able to realize a benefit from the product before I fucking die. And now you owe me 5 minutes of my life back.

* Ivanated. Noun, The process of using knowledge to add complexity, which although always very much appreciated, is in some cases not fucking needed. / The tendency to lengthen posts with technical knowledge which is in some cases not germane to the subject.

Example. Bob was checking his post for some recommendations to SMAART when he encountered an Ivanated response. It took so long to read Bob had a stroke and his question is lost in the translation, with Bob being unable to type ever again. (you wish)

Well that made me laugh out loud so it was definitely worth the 5 minutes it took me to catch up on this thread.  1 channel isn't going to do you much good as you'll need a reference channel and a measurement channel to generate any useful data.  If you already have a 2-channel interface I would look into SMAART DI.  There's a comparison here: http://www.rationalacoustics.com/smaart-v-7-vs-smaart-v-7-di/ between the differences of SMAART DI and the full version.

There are probably less expensive options out there, but my thought process is you can probably sell the genuine SMAART software/hardware when you 'fucking die' while the knock-off stuff won't be worth much money. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »

Bob, I looked at the Smart Tools for iPad and after I figured up what I'd spend to make it functionally equal to Smaart DI, I didn't bother.  Other than the form factor/weight of the iPad it wasn't worth it.

Almost any PC or Mac built in the last 4 years will run Smaart.  Almost any audio interface using USB or Firewire will work.

I have no experience with SysTune but have great respect for its author and the USA support team.

Check out Room EQ Wizard that Jason J mentioned up-thread.  The price is right for your old, cheap-ass self:  free.  ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »

Check out Room EQ Wizard that Jason J mentioned up-thread.  The price is right for your old, cheap-ass self:  free.  ;)

Now we're getting someplace. And I resent being called old.

PS - I couldn't find as price for DI.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.